Dlink DNS320: twonky server 7 installation problem

D-Link specific stuff goes here
selverca
AV Hardware:NAS DNS-320
Dlink DNS320: twonky server 7 installation problem

Post by selverca » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Error when starting server:
twonkystarter: line 1: syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

What can I do?

archie1810
AV Hardware:PlayOnHD

Re: Dlink DNS320: twonky server 7 installation problem

Post by archie1810 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:21 am

Hello - I have 2 DNS320 - and have 2 licenses of TwonkyServer 6.0.38 and it is upgradeable for free to TwonkyServer 7.0.7 Special - that is what the support guy told me.
The problem is - how can I install TwonkyServer into DNS-320? Do you have the guide link, please?
Thanks.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 am

As far as I know you'd need to install one of our Twonky 7 NAS builds which do require a license key. You can find them here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/7.0.5-Special/

Unfortunately, we don't have a list which tells you which one to use for every device. Nor do we have installation instructions. There are some instructions here on the forum (as well as other forums) if you search for them.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

archie1810
AV Hardware:PlayOnHD

Post by archie1810 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:29 am

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link.
Apperently, I have made comparison for the device zip file v6.0.39 and v7.0.5 Special in your link, the two zip files have different contents... For example there is no TwonkyMedia file etc... What is the replacement to use for TwonkyMedia file or any file naming mapping perhaps between v6.0.39 and v7.0.5 Special?

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Arc.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 pm

You are correct that there were changes made to the client.db between TS 6.x and TS 7.x. I haven't been provided with any official documentation on the changes yet, but here are some old notes that I took a while back in a meeting with Christian. They have not been edited, but I'm including them here in case they help provide a few clues while we're waiting for better documentation.

- The old Client.db file in the Resources folder has been replaced by a DeviceDB folder. This folder contains separate XML files for each device. This was done so that we can do device updates without updating the entire db file. In the future these updates will be done automatically from the cloud.

- Any time there is more than one XML file for a single manufacturer , each of the separate XML files are placed in a single folder. The file scanner will still work properly if files are deleted or flattened out to a single directory . Currently we only update files that have been changed or new adds.
- The file scanner reads all of the separate XML files and read in the complete structure.
- To avoid having your custom device XMLs replaced, rename them.
- With 7.0 there is no change, only the server uses the client DB.
- After TS 7.1 ships our Client SDK and apps like TM will also take advantage of client adaptation.
- The structure is similar to what we had in the device.db before.
There are two different ways to recognize a device
1. Device recognition using Display Name (used by DMRs and DMS) Not the friendly name
2. HTTP-based recognition (used by PS3 and most DMPs)

- Mapping update policy is used to ID certain types of devices. FIX is used for hardware devices. PC software and mobile phones use PC FIX . We switch dynamically on a connection. A PC can run several pieces of software at once. It faster if we don’t have to look to get all device descriptions.
- MIME-type mapping is most important because this is not standardized and media won’t play if this is not set properly. Not a one to one mapping. We no longer have file extension to MIME-type mapping.
- We use MIME-type mapping to trick the device into playing files.
- MIME-type surpress does not make a media type playable but it will prevent a device crash.
- Transcoding.db points to the description files which are here under resources CGI Bin
- Device DB only has MPEG2 and MP4 (may be disabled) as target formats because these are the only encoders which we currently license.
- Transcoding sources are MIME types.
Source = Mime-type
Target = Destination
- Old transcription files will still work with the trancoding engine. Old works with new. Do not to convert to XML.
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/