DSM-520: Unable to select reqired audio stream

D-Link specific stuff goes here
jzeimet
DSM-520: Unable to select reqired audio stream

Post by jzeimet » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:54 am

I'm running Twomnky V4 with a DSM-520 client. I could not find a possibility to select a specific audio stream. Unfortunately some videos are now played in foreign langage ore director's comment instead of the required language.

I tried the 'menue' button on the remote control but the DSM-520 shows the 'not-ollowed' symbol instead of displaying a menue.

In twonky config pages, the DSM has been displayed as 'generic device' and is manually set to a d-link client. Now ist is shown as DSM-320.

Any help available?

Juergen
Jürgen

glvaca

Post by glvaca » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Jurgen,

What you are experiencing is one of the best kept secrets of this device. Before I bought mine I spent several weeks surfing and reading whatever I could find about the DSM-520. NO WHERE did I find anyone who took the time to post that the bloody thing doesn't allow you to browse through VOB menu's. Which results in that non English native speakers who'd like subtitles are left in the dark.

In the manual (on the CD) you'll find some reference that the device will recongnise .srt files which you can create by shareware like subrip BUT it doesn't work with VOB files. The best I found is that you need to convert you VOB's to avi's and fix the subtitles in the avi. According to the manual the srt files should work with avi's IF the srt has the same name as the avi, although different extention. converting to avi's would be acceptable where it not for the second annoying fault of the device; namely it's very slow FF and RW. With VOBs you can at least usde the next chapter buttons which does not work with avi's, obviously.

If anyone has a way to achieve fixed subtitles on VOB files then please, please, please come forward and help the not so knowledgable.

Many thanks in name of all who are desperatly trying to find a way to achieve this!

Best,
Glenn

[/quote]

jzeimet

Post by jzeimet » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Hello Glenn,

unbelievable: I just got a mail by the dlink support team, they told me it's " A known bug (playing always the first audio track of the selected media file) and development is working to fix it." Unfortunately they don't have a release date of a patch yet.

So my best guess is it to be available not before next year (2007,8,9,...).

In case something really goes on, I'll post it for you.

Greetings - Juergen
Jürgen

glvaca

Post by glvaca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

jzeimet wrote:Hello Glenn,

unbelievable: I just got a mail by the dlink support team, they told me it's " A known bug (playing always the first audio track of the selected media file) and development is working to fix it." Unfortunately they don't have a release date of a patch yet.

So my best guess is it to be available not before next year (2007,8,9,...).

In case something really goes on, I'll post it for you.

Greetings - Juergen
Hello Jurgen,

I hope you get something out of your support call. If I understand correctly, this means they are going to fix the problem of not being able to use the Vob's menu? I surely hope they do.

In the mean time I found a solution on how to manipulate your Vob's so that you have both the spoken language you want and fixed subtitles. I'm going to post this in a sperate thread for all those looking for this. Be warned though, it ain't a simple solution and I hope you have a comp with some serious horsepower.

Best,
Glenn

convergent

Post by convergent » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:45 pm

glvaca wrote:Jurgen,
With VOBs you can at least usde the next chapter buttons which does not work with avi's, obviously.
Are you talking about just skipping from one VOB to the next, or actually going chapter by chapter within a VOB? I want to do the later, and love to know how you are doing it if that is what you are doing. I'm ripping with DVDShrink or DVDDecrypter. Also, how are you saving your multiple VOB files on your NAS to get them to be shown as one title? I've not been successful with that either. Do you know if its possible to easily rip a DVD into say, 12 VOBs, automatically? If you could do that... AND, you could organize them in a folder that the DSM-520 and Twonky would see as a title... then that would solve all the chapter forward problems. So far, I've been able to save it as one big VOB, or 1GB VOBs... there must be a way to do it otherwise.
Mike

randy_simon

Post by randy_simon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:03 pm

I am also trying to go chapter by chapter within a VOB. It seems that the next/prev chapter buttons on my remote are disabled when playing a VOB on my DSM-520. If someone has a solutions for this I would be very grateful.

Ripping to multiple VOB files really doesn't solve the problem because you end up with a two second delay when switching between VOBs on the DSM-520.

convergent

Post by convergent » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 pm

I gave up on this device. It won't read ISO files, and they seem to be the best way to package DVDs for "DVD Player-like" playback. I moved to an XBMC (XBOX Media Center) and it is working very well. It won't work with Twonky for some reason, but it works fine pulling your ripped DVDs from a share. I am using AnyDVD and DVDClone to rip them into appoximately a 4.5GB single file, with menus, but not special features. This lets me navigate from chapter to chapter with the menu, or simply page forward and back with the remote. It works well. I wish it worked with the UPnP Twonky capabilities of my ReadyNAS NV+, but I'd rather have the playback capability and have to setup my library via the XBMC (which is pretty easy, point and click).
Mike

xman1

Post by xman1 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:41 pm

Simple solution - just get ifoedit and remove all the audio tracks you don't want, leaving only the audio track you do want. Takes about 2 minutes.

-X

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... foedit.cfm

jzeimet

Post by jzeimet » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Dear friend,

thanks for all hints and tools. As i promised to let you know if DLINK support delivers the promised update:

NOTHING happened..... :-)
Jürgen

Marcus
AV Hardware:Compaq TC-3100 Server 4gb Ram,
Windows 2003 server running Twonky downgraded to Version: 7.2.7
around 10tb of USB drives
Output to W7/8/10 computers, PSP, XBOX, PS3, Sony Bravia
Mostly wired, but some wireless on a 100base network.

Post by Marcus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 pm

Has anyone got to the bottom of this 'topic' yet?

xman1 wrote:Simple solution - just get ifoedit and remove all the audio tracks you don't want.
Can't work that one out either.

I'm using magic dvd ripper to pull off the movies into single mpeg files... The audio plays quite happily in wmp/intervideo dvd...

But it's just mute on my dsm520 :cry:

Marcus
AV Hardware:Compaq TC-3100 Server 4gb Ram,
Windows 2003 server running Twonky downgraded to Version: 7.2.7
around 10tb of USB drives
Output to W7/8/10 computers, PSP, XBOX, PS3, Sony Bravia
Mostly wired, but some wireless on a 100base network.

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:14 pm

New software in the DSM seems to have fixed that... all working quite happily now 8)