DSM-520 & DVD Vobs

D-Link specific stuff goes here
NathanK
DSM-520 & DVD Vobs

Post by NathanK » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:15 am

I understand that Twonkymedia & the DSM-520 don't correctly show DVD VOBS, and that I can create an XVID of a film... However

Which part is needed to fix this and allow proper navigation of menus and display of all the vobs in the right order?

Is this something TwonkyMedia could provide at the server end, or does it require software updates on the media client?

My main intent when buying the D-Link box was to rip the kids DVDs to the server so that they didn't loose and break them... encoding them as XVids is an unsatisfactory and frustrating alternative.

Thanks! Nathan

aqxx

Post by aqxx » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:16 pm

An easy way is to save your DVD as just one big VOB. Don't split it into 1 GB chunks. You can do it with the well known DVDShrink and others.

NathanK

Post by NathanK » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks - didn't know about that option!

bonienl

Post by bonienl » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:39 am

When VOBs are not played in the correct sequence it might come because the "shuffle" function of the DSM-520 is set ON . For some reason when shuffle is set for music the DSM will do it for video too. Note: If it doesn't work to get shuffle OFF, try setting the DSM-520 to factory defaults.

Navigation of menus requires Twonky to understand and process the associated .IFO files, which it can't do at the moment. I am hoping someday this will be added though :)