DVD Structured Video Playback via D_Link DSM-520 and Twonky

D-Link specific stuff goes here
Freway01
AV Hardware:D-Link DNS-323, D-Link DMS-520, Popcorn Hour A-110, Xbox 360, Vista32/Home Premium
DVD Structured Video Playback via D_Link DSM-520 and Twonky

Post by Freway01 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:55 pm

I have 3 PC's (all running Vista 32 Home Premium), an Xbox360, a D-Link DNS-323 (NAS), a D-Link DSM-520, and a Popcorn Hour A-110 all connected to my home gigabyte network (wired).

The D-Link DNS-323 device has two 750 GB hard drives and serve as the home for all of my backed-up DVD structured videos. Each video is in it's own folder (named after the video) and contains the VIDEO_TS sub-folder that contains all of the video files.

One of the PC’s is running a package called ‘My Movies’ and Transcoder360 which interfaces with Media Center and it allows me to watch my DVD structured (back-ups of my DVD’s) videos on my PC’s (via Media Center) and through the media extender function of the Xbox. ‘My Movies’ also serves as a jukebox in Media Center and the extender.

The Popcorn Hour A-110 is a media device that connects to the network and allows the playback of almost all music & video formats stored on the local, shared, or NAS devices. It too will play my videos from my DVD structured back-ups. Because 'My Movies' places the video media information (cover art, movie descriptions, etc) in the main movie folder. I also run a little service on the Vista machine called 'Kroozbox' that gives me a jukebox function on the Popcorn Hour.

For the D-Link DSM-520, I have to run their media server software to play stored video on any of the local, shared, or NAS devices and it will not play DVD structured videos although it will play the individual vob files. To watch a whole video without any intervention I need to convert it to one long vob file or one of the other supported formats. This involves extra steps and space usage for the back-up process.

Would I see any benefits by running Twonky for any of configurations listed, but most importunately the DSM-520? If so, which product would best serve my needs? If not, anyone looking to buy a D-Link DSM-520?

hackkira
AV Hardware:DFASF

Re: DVD Structured Video Playback via D_Link DSM-520 and Twonky

Post by hackkira » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 am

For the D-Link DSM-520, I accept to run their media server software to play stored video on any of the local, shared, or NAS accessories and it will not play DVD structured videos although it will play the alone vob files. To watch a accomplished video after any action I charge to catechumen it to one continued vob book or one of the added accurate formats. This involves added accomplish and amplitude acceptance for the back process.