D-Link specific stuff goes here
jrj
AV Hardware:Vista PC
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3
DNS232 not saving sharing settings

Post by jrj » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 am

I just installed the latest twonkymediaserver 5.0.65.

The install seemed fine, but when I changed the share settings and saved changes, the server scanned right from the root of my drive and ignores the sharing settings. I retried a few times. It may also be losing the database every restart

Does anybody have an idea why this may be? Is there possibly a permissions issue preventing the mediaserver from saving the configuration and possibly database?

I notice twonkymedia-server.ini seems empty.

Any Ideas?
Last edited by jrj on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: DNS323 not saving sharing settings

Post by Briain » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi

I noticed other posts about these very issues (and D-Link 323) on this forum (in one of the 5.0.xx threads I was taking part in). Probably worth having a search for them in the server section. I've had a quick look but can't spot them and have to rush out. They are there and I think someone found a fix but can't quite remember.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but it's definitely worth having a few searches for these posts.

Bri

jrj
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3

Re: DNS232 not saving sharing settings

Post by jrj » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:11 pm

I guess I should correct the NAS model number before continuing: DNS-232.

Thanks, Briain. I had a further look and found some similar issues mentioned, but nothing quite applies, especially in light of the following:

Since posting I've noticed the problem was much bigger than I thought. With TMS 5.0.65 or 5.1.08beta installed, I lose access to the files on the NAS. I had 4.4.11 on trial and it worked pretty well except an issue with rescan time. The two 5.X versions I have tried- The minute I delete the TMS files from the NAS and reboot I regain access to the NAS files. I even had difficulty accessing the NAS's setup web page. It seems the NAS wasn't able to set up SMB connections to my Vista PCs with 5.x installed. I also got pink status lights on me DNS hard drive (rapidly alternating amber-blue) and the status page of the NAS was messed up - the temperature text is messed up and the drive reports 0 MB capacity. All of it goes away when I remove TMS.

This may be a clue: When I reboot the NAS over telnet I see a string of error messages containing " No space left on device". I remember seing a bunch of similar messages in the NASSETUP window when upgrading from 5.0.65 to 5.1.8.

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi

It's my fault; my Whisky Society membership number ends in 323 and I keep writing 232 (cause I think of RS232) so it's a common switch I often make by mistake! :) The problem with zero space can be solved by first (before installing TMS) creating a symlink from /var. When installing TMS5, it then pushes the database from /var to wherever the symlink points it to. If you don't do that, the database takes up all the allocated space in the OS area and will likely just cause chaos (depends on the quantity of media files you have; for my 16000 FLAC files, the database comprised 10's of thousands of files in 10's of thousands of directories).

There's a post on the 232 and symlink here somewhere too. 5.1 will have only a single database file and should thus not require this trick, but we are waiting for the next release as there are a couple of other issues that need fixed in it.

If you can't be bothered with the symlink stuff, it's maybe best to hold on just now and use 4.4.x until the next version of 5.1 has been released?

Bri

jrj
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3

Re: DNS323 not saving sharing settings

Post by jrj » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks Briain,

That did the trick for 5.0.65. It seemed to me the issue was the same with 5.1.08 beta 77, but I'll wait for the 5.1 release before I try it again.

:lol: I keep making the same swap 323-232. My NAS is downstairs, so I took it from the twonky server Host name which is "Twonky DNS-232" by default.

Randy

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I've taken all numbers out of my network element names on the grounds that I'm just too stupid to use numbers; I'm surprised I even manage to end up in the correct numbered house sometimes. Actually, now that I come to think about it, this isn't my PC and I don't own a cat; I'd better go check the number on the front door!! :lol:

test06
AV Hardware:DLINK DNS-323, Sony Bravia KDL 40W5800, DM800

Post by test06 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:42 am

Hello everybody,

today i bought the twonky 5 and install on dns-323 the version 5.1.2 .
i edit the twonkymedia-server-default.ini and the starttwonky.sh , now i hope the trouble with pink led is fixed !

but a big problem is, after shutdown the dns-323 or reboot i lose all settings in twonky: language, license key, and so on!

please help with a solution.

c-louse
AV Hardware:Teac WAP 5000

Post by c-louse » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi there.
I just installed Twonky 5.1 on my DNS 323 and have the same problem. All my settings disappear after rebooting the DNS.
Can anybody help?

thanks

jrj
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3

Post by jrj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 pm

c-louse:
The default location to store the settings is in a RAM drive, in the DNS's memory, and is re-created every time twonky runs. Look up the solutions to the pink LED problem to learn how to store the database & settings on the HDD. You'll have the pink LED problems as soon as you get more than a few items in your library. Try searching for "starttwonky.sh".
Randy