Twonky server not appearing on Western Digital My book world

jpmoriarty
AV Hardware:XBox 360, Western Digital My Book World Edition 2TB, Dlink router, BT Home Hub
Twonky server not appearing on Western Digital My book world

Post by jpmoriarty » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:06 pm

I have a western digital my book world edition 2 and I think the Twonky Server is having problems. It used to be ok, but I noticed that although I could see the drive from my windows machine my new samsung tele wasn't picking up the media that's on it. I've now done some digging around, and there does appear to be a problem, most noticeably that
a) my port scanner says that only 3 ports are active on the NAS, 80 (http), 139 (ssn) and 445 (microsoft-ds), so port 9000 (which I think is usually used by Twonky) doesn't appear
b) loading XBMC on my laptop which can see the network drive fine can't find any DNLA devices on the network
c) when I click on the "media server" link from the WD my book world edition administration pages, it links to http://ip-of-my-NAS:9000 and the web page doesn't do anything, it just times out.

I have tried rebooting the NAS from the admin pages, and I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, but still no Twonky. Is there some way I can force it to run (it looks like it's not at all at the moment), or to restart the twonky server? Is there some way of telling through the NAS admin pages whether or not it's running, and kick it into action if it's not? Can I reinstall Twonky on it (maybe a newer version) which might fix the issue?

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Feel free to tweet me at @johnymoz if it would be easier to talk me through a solution on Twitter if you can assist!

John

jpmoriarty
AV Hardware:XBox 360, Western Digital My Book World Edition 2TB, Dlink router, BT Home Hub

Re: Twonky server not appearing on Western Digital My book w

Post by jpmoriarty » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Just for anyone else having this problem I found a solution - it turned out my firewall was blocking access to the twonky server, so I disabled it and it's working fine now. I have a firewall on my external gateway so I'm still protected.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Thank you for sharing the solution to this problem with the others on this forum :D

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Darr247
AV Hardware:Onkyo TX-NR807, Oppo BDP-83, Tivo S3 THX, Tivo S4 XL, WD MyBook World Edition (white lights, with Twonky 5.1.9 in firmware), multiple Windows and Linux boxes on LAN running TVersity, uShare, et al media server software.

Post by Darr247 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:33 am

I'm wondering what firewall was between the MBWE and your Samsung TV?

It's pretty-easy to open port 9000 in most firewalls (the hardest part will be deciding if you want to open UDP, TCP or both), so advising anyone to permanently disable a firewall is not a good idea, in my opinion.