Twonky and Popcorn Hour vs Dune

Budgie
Twonky and Popcorn Hour vs Dune

Post by Budgie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

I have ripped most of my classical collection to flac format and they are served by Twonky from a Qnap NAS. The system works well with Linn devices but my problem with the Popcorn Hour is that it will not accept flac files from Twonky. There seems to be a reluctance on the part of the PCH people to sort this out and they blame Twonky and they maintain flac is not part of the upnp specification.
Will I have the same problem with Dune HD devices? Does anybody have experience of these with Twonky?
Budgie

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Twonky and Popcorn Hour vs Dune

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 am

TwonkyServer streams FLAC files without problem to many devices. That fact that we work with so many other devices seems to point towards a possible PCH issue. Of course I could be wrong.

They are correct that FLAC support isn't required for UPnP or DLNA support.

If someone from PCH can tell us what we're doing wrong, we will try to fix it. Have them contact me by sending mail to tmm-beta@pv.com.

I can't comment about Dune, because I haven't used it yet.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/