Cannot play .srt files on WD TV Live.

radioth
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-559 Pro II

Samsung EU6000

WD TV Live Hub

Playstation 3
Cannot play .srt files on WD TV Live.

Post by radioth » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Yesterday I bought myself a Western Digital TV Live. Installation was very easy. I setted up my Twonky server on my Qnap TS-559 Pro II. I connected to it with my media player.

All this was no problem, but when I tryed to play a movie i could not add the subs to the movie.

Is there any option to enable it? Twonky Server is supported to .srt files? I need to download any patch to make it possible?

I read on forums that the Samsung tv's don't have any problems with this.

All help is welcome to make this possible.

Grtz.

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: Cannot play .srt files on WD TV Live.

Post by parnott » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm

WD media players (LIve, Live+, Hub, Streaming) do not support external subtitles when streaming via DLNA. Actually most DLNA mediaplayers don't support external subtitles.

You can remux the subtitles into the video file and then the subtitles should work.

radioth

Samsung EU6000

WD TV Live Hub

Playstation 3

Post by radioth » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 pm

[quote="parnott"]WD media players (LIve, Live+, Hub, Streaming) do not support external subtitles when streaming via DLNA. Actually most DLNA mediaplayers don't support external subtitles.

You can remux the subtitles into the video file and then the subtitles should work.[/quote]

There is no option to make that possible? Because when I use PS media server I got the subs.

Only a bad thing on ps media server is, I got like every minutes shocks in my screen.

Grtz.

parnott

Post by parnott » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:02 pm

PS2 Mediaserver is transcoding and remuxing the video stream. That is also the most likely cause of disruptions during video playback.

The Qnap TS-559 Pro II has an Intel® Atom™ D525 1.8GHz dual core cpu http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=166 which is unlikely to be capable of doing reliable real-time video transcoding.

radioth

Samsung EU6000

WD TV Live Hub

Playstation 3

Post by radioth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

[quote="parnott"]PS2 Mediaserver is transcoding and remuxing the video stream. That is also the most likely cause of disruptions during video playback.

The Qnap TS-559 Pro II has an Intel® Atom™ D525 1.8GHz dual core cpu [url]http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=166[/url] which is unlikely to be capable of doing reliable real-time video transcoding.[/quote]

Oke I understand that. But how is it possible that VLC Media player don't have any problem with that even on a slow laptop.

I think it's only one simple command to take .srt files with it. because the WD media player on his self can read it and mount it on the movie.

Grtz.

parnott

Post by parnott » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:48 am

Unfotunately I don't think you understand.
Oke I understand that. But how is it possible that VLC Media player don't have any problem with that even on a slow laptop.
Because VLC is just deconding the video stream and compositing the subtitles over the video with the assitance of video decoding hardware (i.e you video card).
because the WD media player on his self can read it and mount it on the movie.
Yes it can if the video is played from local storage or a network share. Again the WD TV is just decoding the video and compositing the subtitles over the video with its onboard hardware.
I think it's only one simple command to take .srt files with it.

No it is not. For Twonky server to do this, it would have to demux the video file (into the elementary video and audio streams) and then remux the file to include the subtitles. This is not a simple process and can require a considerable amount of CPU performance. AND, there is no hardware performance assist like when the video is being displayed.

But the problem is still that the WD TV will not play external subtitles via DLNA. And most DLNA mediaplayers don't because there is no STANDARD method of doing it.