TwonkyServer 6.0.39 w/Himedia 600A DLNA/UPNP Media Player

mbze430
AV Hardware:Linkstation LS-VL
TwonkyServer 6.0.39 w/Himedia 600A DLNA/UPNP Media Player

Post by mbze430 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 am

I seem to be having a problem with TwonkyServer 6.0 with a HiMedia 600A Network Media Player via DLNA. I won't play any of the internal subtitles nor will it play the SRT external subtitles. It seems to be it might be an issue with the Media Receiver setting in the server side, as I was having the same problem with my Samsung Smart TV till the option "Samsung TV" was added.

Can anyone recommend on how to get the subtitles stream via DLNA? I already try setting the Media Receiver option to "Samsung TV" that didn't work. I also tried a few others "devices". ex: Generic DLNA 1.0, WD Live TV HD, Acer Media. None plays the SRT.

NOTE: The HiMedia does support Samba, if I use that it plays Internal and External Subtitles just fine. But I am trying to stream line everything to DLNA

Recommendation and suggestions are welcome, TIA

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: TwonkyServer 6.0.39 w/Himedia 600A DLNA/UPNP Media Playe

Post by parnott » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 pm

According to the manual for your media player (http://v.himedia-tech.cn/himedia/introd ... 20V1.3.pdf) it does not support external subtitles when streaming from a UPNP/DLNA server.
Page 23 has this Note-
2) The external subtitle file cannot stream together with video from the UPNP server.

In fact most media players do not support external subtitles when streaming from a UPNP/DLNA media server. Those media players that can stream external subtitles use proprietory extensions to the UPNP standard to achieve this. Twonky have reverse engineered this support for a few devices (mainly Samsung TVs), but it is still hit or miss.

If your media player will not show embeded subtitles when streaming a video from a UPNP/DLNA server then that is something you need to take up with the manufactuer of your media player.