Momento 70 Wireless Picture Frame

cliffa
AV Hardware:Server: Qnap TS-409
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.
Momento 70 Wireless Picture Frame

Post by cliffa » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:05 pm

I've just bought one of these ( http://www.momentolive.com/ProductsMomento70.aspx ) on the hopes that it would be able to display pictures stored on my LinkStation NAS running TwonkyMedia 4.4b. It is compatible with Windows Media Connect and is able to see the pictures on my PC when I use WMP11 the supported server application - but as ever I want to do this without having the PC on. I can take some WireShark traces and send them on - just let me know where to.

I'm struggling to see why this UPnP client/server compatability should be such a problem.

Ho Hum that's progress :-)

cliffa
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.

Post by cliffa » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:49 pm

OK I'm determined to get this working...

I've done some more tinkering and made a bit of a breakthrough, but there is still obviously a vital setting that's needed to get it to work.

By forcing the use of any of the client types in the client.db that have the DX:WMC parameter (this is xbox360, WMP & Yamaha) I can get My Twonky server to appear in the list of servers to use.

Unfortunately none of these devices obviously have the rest of the correct "tweak" parameters to satisfy the device so it will show the content.

What do I need to provide by way of UPnP traces to know what the rest of the settings need to be. Is it likely that the right parameters will already be defined and it it just a case of getting the right combination - or might it need extra ones for this device?

Also I tried creating my own new client entry with ID 061 and just pasting the rest of the parameters from one of the entries that use DX:WMC to allow me to experiment, this didn't seem to work though - should we be able to define our own custom clients in this way?

Thanks

cliffa

Post by cliffa » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:11 pm

OK so here's some more to go on.

Twonky returns a 701 error code to the BrowseDirectChildren request...

Is this somthing that can be sorted by configuration, or is it a genuine exception.

POST /ContentDirectory/Control HTTP/1.1SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1#Browse"Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"User-Agent: Windows CE 5.0 UPnP control pointHost: 192.168.1.68:1900Content-Length: 450<s>
<s>
<u u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1">
<ObjectID>B</ObjectID>
<BrowseFlag>BrowseDirectChildren</BrowseFlag>
<Filter></Filter>
<StartingIndex>0</StartingIndex>
<RequestedCount>1</RequestedCount>
<SortCriteria></SortCriteria>
</u>
</s>
</s>

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server ErrorContent-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8Content-Length: 486Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:17:44 GMTAccept-Ranges: bytesConnection: keep-aliveEXT:Server: Linux/2.x.x, UPnP/1.0, TwonkyVision UPnP SDK/1.0
<xml><s>
<s>
<s>
<faultcode>s:Client</faultcode>
<faultstring>UPnPError</faultstring>
<detail>
<UPnPError>
<errorCode>701</errorCode>
<errorDescription>No such object</errorDescription>
</UPnPError>
</detail>
</s>
</s>
</s>

ChrisF

Also interested...

Post by ChrisF » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 pm

My kids "gave" me one of these frames for Father's day - I'm really keen on a solution which works with TwonkyVision.

Any ideas?

Thx, Chris.

cliffa

Post by cliffa » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 am

Hi Chris, Twonky support has been working away on this, I've been providing network traces capturing the the UPnP dialogue between WMC and the Momento and also Twonky and the Momento.

With the latest 4.4b5 build the Momento will detect and connect to Twonky but so far all I can get it to display is the message No pictures found!

I'm truely hoping this can be resolved and that WMC is not doing something too trick that can't be emulated / supported easy enough by Twonky. As with other UPnP client devices it will be so much nicer for it to work without having to have a PC turned on.

Keeping my fingers crossed - its a neat bit of kit.

miricale

Post by miricale » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi,
Just to add in my in my own findings. I like everyone else get no pictures found.

However I discovered a few things which helps.

If I have only 1 directory shared which contains pictures and that that shared folder has 1 sub folder which holds all the picture, and if I have a small number of pictures shared (less than 100) then you can sort of get it working.

The frame finds the twonky server, and starts to appear to work by offering up the playlist or folder option. If you select folder you still see "no pictures found", but if you press backup and then play when the folder option is highlighted then it has a bit of a think and then starts showing a few pictures.

After poking it a bit more I think the problem is that that the frame expects a really quick response for the list of files. Twonky seems to have a slight delay on it, so the frame times out and says "no pictures". (I've noticed nero showtime takes a good 5-10 seconds to show the file list, and momento comes back almost instantly)

I suspect the problems with the frame and not twonky. I did email momentos web site to see if anyone can help improve the timeout, but so far no reply.

I dont know if my waffle is any help, it wont stop me posting it.

rynosoftuk

Possible Workaround

Post by rynosoftuk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:16 am

Hi,

I've got an NSLU2 running Twonky and have been having the same trouble with No Pictures etc... but by chance, I found this that seems to work! I've got a few thousand pictures on this server so hopefully this bodes well :)

First of all, try to view the photos and get the No Pictures Found message up on the frame. Then power it off at the side and switch it back on again. It takes 2 - 3 minutes to come back up on my system, but low and behold it eventually starts to display the photos from Twonky! I'm guessing the timeouts are slightly more forgiving when the frame is powering up.

Hope this helps someone!

Mark

miricale

Post by miricale » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:24 pm

I've tried that suggestion, but found it only shows a percentage of the pictures before it goes back to the start. It also seems to get randomly stuck as well after a while. I am guessing its something to do with loading up a cache of pictures and that when its full it doesnt go get another load.

rynosoftuk

More Tests!!

Post by rynosoftuk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:03 pm

After having the frame running for a few days, I also found that the frame seemingly hangs after only a few hours of running! The only way out of this was to turn off my WiFi router and reboot the frame. This seemed to be the only way to get back to the main menu. Switching off and on only allowed me to get to the animated Momento logo.

Anyway, I know some other frames on the market (particularly the Samsung SPF-72V, tried that and took it back because of the lousy firmware!) can only handle a limited size of JPG image (4mb in this case if I remember rightly). It seems that the larger JPG images on the Momento crash the frame in some way. Indeed, it won't respond to any commands from the remote control.

I can't find any mention of this in the Momento documentation, but I've written a little software utility to copy and resize all of my images to the native frame size (800x480) and in doing this to bring down the file size of all my photos to ~50kb. Hardly ideal for a novice user! But I must say now the frame has been on constantly since Friday night (3 days now) and it's still working.

I also agree with miricale that the images shown on the frame seem to be repetitive, but the selection of images in the cache do seem to change eventually (e.g. if I leave the frame on overnight, there is definately a different selection of images being used in the morning). I'd also imagine after doing the above that the cache can fit many more images in too.

Anyway, the setup for I'm after is for me to be able to dump my digital photos on the server, and for the frame to automatically start including them in it's cycle. I'm almost there apart from the manual resize process, but hopefully I'll get that automated too :)

Anyone know of such a tool for the NSLU2/uNSLUng platform? The pre-built ImageMagick binaries doesn't seem to like JPGs.

I'm done now :)

miricale

Post by miricale » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. I finally got a chance to shrink all my pictures down to a 480x800 size and although it seems to have speed up the frames response time. its not really helped.

The picture frame still seems to reset to an earlier one after it hits about picture 40.

if I set twonky to random - I get a different 40 pictures, but its still only 40 pictures. It's better as the previous random wasnt very so at least I'm starting to see other pictures.

I tried it using windows media as the streamer and it works fine, so I've no idea whats going on.

colincliff
AV Hardware:Qnap ts-109

Re: Momento 70 Wireless Picture Frame

Post by colincliff » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:39 pm

sorry to bump an old post, but did anyone ever get the momento frame workling with Twonky properly?

miricale

Re: Momento 70 Wireless Picture Frame

Post by miricale » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:19 pm

yes and no. I knocked together a very quick and dirty program which got me around my problems.

I found that small number of files in a directory worked. so I set twonky to share a single photo directory and then wrote a prorgam to copy into it a random selection of pictures from other shares on the hard disk. Its set on my start up so each time the pc boots I get a new set of random pictures. the headache is it needed a rescan of the directory each time which I couldnt automate.

I now think that the wifi aspect of the thing is fantastic, but the interface is so weak it destorys the advantage.

I gave up after that and bought a big sd card and put them all on that instead. I just hope that future companies who make wifi photo frames think more about connectivity and actually have some form of support.