Transcoding for PS3 on Version 4.4

Celestial
Transcoding for PS3 on Version 4.4

Post by Celestial » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:33 am

Today, Sony will cut the price of the 60Gb PS3 by $100.00, which makes me really start to consider the purchase.

I am curious about one thing, Twonkyvision supports transcoding. Does this mean if I have DivX files Twonkyvision will transcode them so they can be played by the PS3.

Thanks

Celestial

Bump

Post by Celestial » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:29 pm

Hoping someone can answer this question

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:56 pm

From my understanding, Twonky would use an external program (VLC? http://www.twonkyvision.de/Support/Deve ... index.html) for the actual transcoding.

You might want a fairly strong server for that, since I doubt that the smaller NAS solutions (Harddrive running e.g. linux) are too weak for such tasks. For this reason, I'm MPEG4/AVC'ing my library, and the PS3 is picking it up nicely, with Twonky sorting by Album (show), title and/or year from the MPEG4 tags.

So, it should be quite doable, but could depend on your existing hardware.

/Nc.

rknall

Post by rknall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:06 am

cbhwr wrote:For this reason, I'm MPEG4/AVC'ing my library, and the PS3 is picking it up nicely, with Twonky sorting by Album (show), title and/or year from the MPEG4 tags.
Could you tell me which settings and program you are using for transcoding? Still havin issues with audio/video sync.

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:16 pm

I use MEGUI using X264 and FAAC. This is unfortunately Windows Only because it uses AviSynth. You may get MPlayer's MEncoder (mplayerhq.hu) to do it for you on other platforms.

A common problem I find is when files are at an odd framerate, such as 23.9766484732 (ca) - if they are then muxed to 25 fps, you get into problems :D

A quick mini-quide..

Download MEGUI (doom9.org is where I found it)
Run MEGUI once to have it update itself and all plugins.
Use the AviSynth script creator (in menu) to create .avs files for each of your sources.*
Load these, one by one, into MEGUI's main window.
Setup MEGUI to use X264 as video encoder and set up a profile (AVC High Profile, level 4.1, any option).
Enqueue video as MP4 and start
Load source file as audio source
Setup audio to use FAAC-MP4 and configure a profile
Enqueue audio as MP4
Use MP4Box muxer (in MEGUI menu) to mux the resulting files. Since they are kept as MP4, you should have no drift or sync problems.

If you STILL have sync problems, it can be the source files or any codec installed on your system.

I then use AtomicParsley to set up information on the MP4s based on IMDB or EPGuides.com. More on that if needed. Unfortunately, Twonky does not understand half of the MP4+Quicktime tags :(

Cheers,
Nc.

*: longer files at just-under-24fps framerates (~23.975) may fail at playback due to stupid players not understanding 64bits timestamps. In AviSynth, use "assumefps(24000,1001)" to try and correct.

nbhms

MP4 audio files not supported across the network on PS3?

Post by nbhms » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 pm

I have TwonkyVision 4.4 running on a ReadyNAS. I have both an xbox 360 and a PS3. Both can see TwonkyVision on the ReadyNAS no problem. However, I'm having a few issues:

1. The PS3 cannot play any of my MP4 audio files (unsuported data type). It can play MP3s from the same server/source directory, so it's not permissions. The 360 can play MP4s, but I like the PS3 interface better. This is a huge issue for me, since the vast majority of my music library is classical music ripped from original CD in iTunes to MP4. I really don't want to re-rip the entire library or change to MP3.

2. Neither the xbox 360 nor the PS3 can see any of my iTunes playlists in version 4.4. The xbox 360 could see the playlists in version 4.3 (I upgraded to 4.4 before I got the PS3).

Any ideas?

nbhms