Anyone else using a WAP-5000 TwonkyMedia? Several issues

chkk
Anyone else using a WAP-5000 TwonkyMedia? Several issues

Post by chkk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:29 am

Hello all,

since a couple of days, I am using a Teac WAP-5000 with TwonkyMedia 4.4.1 running on an I386 Debian box.

I had a Noxon 1 before and was very dissatisfied with its display, the remote of the WAP-5000 with its built in display is really nice. The WAP-5000 main unit is completely hidden in the back of my hifi-rack.

However, the WAP-5000 firmware still seems to be "evolving" (to say it kindly :?). A short summary of my experiences:

• The unit was shipped with v1.0.1.1, which was not able to show WMA album names and covers.
  • After upgrading to v1.0.2.7 available on the Teac site, WMA covers were shown, however album titles for all WMA tracks were still shown as "UNKNOWN ALBUM".
  • After upgrading to v1.1.1.7 available from Teac support, WMA and MP3 covers were no longer shown :( and the "UNKNOWN ALBUM" is not really corrected, but simply shown briefly and then replace by blanks. However, there is one really nice new feature in the latest firmware, now radio streams can be recorded as MP3s if an external disk or USB stick is connected. And NTFS disks are now supported - not that important for me as I serve my music from TwonkyMedia.
In all fimware revisions, I had an annoying bug in the search function. Characters chosen from the on-display keyboard seem to auto-repeat instantly when choosing them, it is pure luck if I get a selected character once, twice or five times - nearly unusable.

However, so far Teac support seems to be fast and good, so I am hoping for future improvements. The WAP-5000 is still way better than a Noxon 1.

Anyone else here using the WAP-5000 with similiar or different experiences?

Best regards
Chris

chkk

Post by chkk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:50 pm

Just upgraded to 1.1.1.10 on the WAP-5000, covers were still not shown correctly. So I decided to try another UPnP server - Windows Media Connect.

To my surprise, album covers now worked as expected! So there is probably some issue with Twonky 4.4.1 (and 4.4.2, upgraded today) which prevent album covers to work correctly with the lastest firmware revisions of the WAP-5000.

Which is a pity, as the latest releases of the WAP-5000 firmware introduce some nice features (like radio stream recording).

Cheers
    Chris