PS3 slow filelists and skipping tracks

S1W
PS3 slow filelists and skipping tracks

Post by S1W » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 am

I've bought a Twonky License yesterday and installed the software on my server. Now when I want to browse music on my PS3 the buildup of the file lists is very slow, it takes about 30 seconds for a album list to fully display. Also when I start playback on the PS3 and want to skip to another track it takes about 30 seconds before the next track finally starts playing.

My network setup is like this:

PS3 --- Wired Network 10/100 --- Draytek Vigor 2900 router, Linksys WRT54G wireless AP --- Wired Network 10/100 --- Media Server (Windows XP)

UPNP is on.

I was wondering if maybe the Linksys is causing problems? Although the PS3 is not connected directly to this device...

Anyone else having these slow list buildup and skipping problems?

S1W

Post by S1W » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:01 am

Allright, problem solved.

I've put another switch in the network and connected the PS3 and media server LAN cables to that switch, also connected the router for Inet access to the switch. This solved the lag problems. The PS3 or media server probably generates lots of network traffic / overhead when media is streamed to it, and causes the router (maybe firewall) to slow down alot. I will try Ethereal to find out what is causing these network lags...

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Linksys WRT54G (and related units) have a pretty poor through-put, but not in the range where it would affect media playback.

The idea with inserting a proper switch is a good one - keep the more advanced units on the edge of your network :)

/G