PS3 and Twonky - Video Streaming

sean0connor
PS3 and Twonky - Video Streaming

Post by sean0connor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Hello All,

I have opened this topic to discuss the PS3 and Tonky Server video streaming capabilities. I find lots of information strewn over different sites with regards to what can and cannot be supported and thought this would be a good place to discuss real user experiences and solutions.

I would certainly like to see Twonky be the most functional PS3 Media Server. A number of reasons behind this other that I own a license for Twonky :-).

Twonky installs on Network Attached storage devices allowing you to have the functionality of a Media Server without leaving a Server on. This can be seen on the likes of the QNAP and Infrant NAS device to mention just two.

Now wouldn't it be nice to have your DVD collection available from your PS3 via your Network Attached Storage !!

Kind Regards
Sean

sean0connor

Streaming Full Quality DVD's

Post by sean0connor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 pm

Now call me a snob.... but I have an issue with converting my DVD collection into a format that is going to lose both visual and audio quality.

So for this reason I have been on a personal mission to find a solution for this. I am currently using Twonky Media Server on a Infrant Ready NAS+ device and my PS3 as the client at the latest Firmware 2.

Here are some of the things I have attempted:-

Attempt 1
Rip the DVD contents to a directory in the Media Servers patch and see what PS3 can see.

Conclusion
The PS3 could see the VOB files and play them some with sound and some without. However playing each of the several VOB's individually to watch a film is not really an acceptable solution.
Shame it does not read the DVD native files such as the INFO that has the details to the contents of the DVD.

Attempt 2
Rip a DVD making the rip product product just one VOB file with the complete contents of the film. Then rename the VOB to be the title of the film.

Conclusion
This worked a little better!! I now have DVD with 5.1 audio playing on my PS3. However there is still a problem, it would appear that the PS3 and or the Twonky Server will only see part of the VOB therefore stopping Star Wars Episode IV at 33 Minutes.

Nightmare and it was so close. I run the VOB on Nero Showtime from a PC and it all seemed to work fine so it must be Twonky or the PS3.

So my next test will be to copy the VOB to my PS3 (against my religion really), but, in the name of science. And isolate the offending technology.
[/u]

sean0connor

Post by sean0connor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:00 am

Excellent news after looking into the other post more closley.

The installation of PS3 Firware 2.01 seems to sort this particular problem out. For interest here is the other post I found on this site :-), maybe i'll look a little harder next time.

Unless Twonky can setu a dedicated Client for the PS3 in the forum.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

poobury
AV Hardware:PS3, and trialing Twonky, PS3 Media Server, Orb (is that UPnP?), TVersity (is that UPnP?)

Re: PS3 and Twonky - Video Streaming

Post by poobury » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the great post - I'm relatively new to having a PS3, and I too am on the quest for the holy grail of lossless streaming of my DVD collection (from my PC for now, until I get a NAS). I was wondering if you had any updates of your progress, but also what you use to rip the DVD into a single VOB. I've tried several apps, but I can't work out how to do it.

Cheers,

P.

abigali
AV Hardware:TECH. HARDWARE

Post by abigali » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:43 am

How do you connect a PS3 to the internet?
I want to know how to connect a PS3 to the internet. I know you can connect it through a netgear box which i own, but my mother will not let me use it because she things it will weck the computer. I do have in my room a wirless network stick which allows me to go on the internet on my computer. Is there anyway of using that to get my PS3 on the internet?

quaglian
AV Hardware:including UPnP servers

Post by quaglian » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 pm

How to return WMP as the default media player after uninstalling Nero? I recently downloaded a trial of Nero. It immediately dominated my computer by making itself the default media program. When I uninstalled this program, The icons weren't recognized or found as wma or any other media files.
Last edited by quaglian on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 pm

In Explorer find a file type that you want associated with WMP. Then right-click on it and choose Open With... from the menu and Choose Default Program (this is from W7 so may be slightly different on XP or Vista). Select WMP and check the box to make this the default program for this file type. Repeat for other types.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)