PS3 - No Media Servers Found

FuZion
PS3 - No Media Servers Found

Post by FuZion » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:08 am

I am currently unable to get my PS3 to find my Tonky media server, the message coming up after searching for media servers is "No Media Servers Found".

Can anyone point me in the right direction to overcome this?

FuZion.

FuZion

Post by FuZion » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:42 pm

I purchased this because it appears to have the best Mac/PS3 compatability but as yet I can't even see the server. Has anyone got any pointers please?

FuZion.

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi,

A pretty good possibility is that your network is the problem...

1) Are you running wired or wireless network?
1a) Are you running wired via a Powerline adaptor?

2) Does either or both machines (Server and PS3) connect via a router as opposed to connect directly or via a switch or hub?
2a) If via router, does the router permit UPnP traffic?
2b) Can other machines see the server via network?

3) Are the devices on the same subnet, with same mask? UPnP uses broadcasting, and a misconfigured network would kill this immediately.

Can you try to connect to the Server's HTTP interface from the PS3? connect to HTTP://<serveraddress>:9000/ or :9100

So, that should get you started, and give us some more details when you've answered the above :D

Cheers,
Nc.

FuZion

Post by FuZion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi, Thanks for your post.

1) I have a Belkin wireless router, but everything I'm using at the moment is wired (Mac, PC, PS3 & Amiga). The only thing using wireless is my PSP.
1a) I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I'd say no. Everything is connected directly to the router.

2) See above. They're all connected to the router with ethernet cables.
2a) Yes, UPnP is enabled on the router in the system settings section of the router options.
2b) The only machine tht can access the server via a browser is the client (Mac). The Amiga, PS3 & PC all say the page cannot be found.

3) All bar the PS3 are using DHCP so I haven't set a Subnet mask. The only reason the PS3 has a manual IP is because I read on another thread that the PS3 should have a high numbered IP address (e.g. x.x.x.10) with everything else lower (e.g. x.x.x.2 etc...). Sounded like a red herring to me, but gave it a shot none the less.

FuZion.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Is the manual IP address of the PS3, in the same range as the IP addresses issued by your DHCP server in your router?

have you tried setting the PS3 to DHCP?
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

FuZion

Post by FuZion » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 pm

mgillespie wrote:Is the manual IP address of the PS3, in the same range as the IP addresses issued by your DHCP server in your router?

have you tried setting the PS3 to DHCP?
It is yeah. I originally had it setup the DHCP way (Auto), but have tried the manual way too. My range goes from .2 to .10 with the PS3 at 10. I've also switched back to auto on everything (Mac, PC, Amiga & PS3) to try & simplify everything again. With so much tweaking & messing with settings I wondered if I'd got lost & forgot something.

There's a DMZ setting for the router. I've tried this being set to the PS3 IP but still no joy there either. Are there any firewall or virtual server settings I need to consider?

FuZion.

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:27 pm

(Sorry for late answer - been travelling)
2b) The only machine tht can access the server via a browser is the client (Mac). The Amiga, PS3 & PC all say the page cannot be found.
Sorry, but to me that sounds like you have network issues between your mac and the rest of machines :(

I would try to hook up the PS3 and Mac to a switch or hub, with nothing else connected, and then set them to static configurations (E.g. IP 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 blank gateway). Then they should really be able to see eachother.

Are there any firewall or virtual server settings I need to consider?
If the above works, then you try yanking the router off the internet and disabling all firewalls for a test.
Also, on my Mac, I've had set up a Firewall profile called UPnP allowing TCP and UDP on port 2170. Not sure if that would help, but let me know - I can go dig up something in my UPnP book to see if I can verify something here.

Some notes: UPnP in a router usually means that it allows clients to change its NAT settings via UPnP - but then I'd also think it allows UPnP and broadcast in general.
Powerline Adaptors are units running networks via your powerlines. I use them, and they can be very good and very bad.

/G

FuZion

Re: PS3 - No Media Servers Found

Post by FuZion » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm not quite sure what I've done (If anything), but it works now.

I got bored of trying new settings out, testing, rebooting, disconnecting, reconnecting & the rest of it... But I gave it another blast a few days ago & everything's fine. Very weird. I changed nothing, it just worked. I've installed the latest version too & it's still fine.

Thanks for all the help peeps :-) I hope others have had some help from this thread too.

FuZion.