Problems streaming MPEG-2 to Zyxel DMA1000

andypiper
Problems streaming MPEG-2 to Zyxel DMA1000

Post by andypiper » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:55 am

I am having problems streaming DVD format mpeg-2 files to my DMA1000 from TwonkyMedia.

Most of my files are 720x576, 25fps, PAL, AC3@48Khz, 2 channel and these all fail with an "Unsupported format" error. These fail when streamed from DiXiM also.

Interestingly, non-standard resolution work mostly
704x576, 25fps, PAL, AC3@48Khz, 2 channel, but Twonky reports an incorrect running time. The running time is reported correctly on DiXiM.

I know that this looks more like a DMA-1000 problem, but has anyone had any success with these formats (pretty standard!) or can offer suggestions as to what formats may work correctly or what may be wrong with the ones I am trying.

All of the files have been recorded from DVB-T using WinTV, if it matters.
I am running TwonkyMedia 4.4.3.1 on a LinkStation Pro

digone52

Post by digone52 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Thought that I'd let you know that I had problems with playing one movie in particular until I upped the firmware on the DMA-1000.

The firmware is available on the zyxel.com website. Put it on a USB stick to up the firmware.

I had a little fear that the update stayed on 50% completed for many minutes, and on 99% too for a long time - I'm glad I didn't switch it off!

After upping the firmware to the latest, the movie played fine.

Hope this helps.

andypiper

Problems with DMA1000 turn out to be problems with DVB-T

Post by andypiper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks for the tip, I had already updated the firmware to no avail, although it did allow me to play MPEG-4 files that I had been previously unable to. I agree that the long time the firmware update takes is scary.

However, I think I have "solved" the problem. The problem is that these are DVB-T streams which have slightly strange audio encoding as documented here:
http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=6844 and see also http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion/in ... 45736.html. Note that this is not talking about the Zyxel DMA1000 but rather the Sigmatel 8621 chipset in general. It seems they all have a problem decoding these streams (although software based players seem to work perfectly fine). I have tried re-outputing the stream using VideoReDo (http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm) and this does indeed fix the stream so that it will play on the DMA1000. VideoReDo is also nice because it is really fast - only taking about 3 minutes to fix a 4Gb movie.

Since this is a problem/limitation with the 8621 chipset it seems unlikely to me that Zyxel can fix this with a firmware patch. However, given that its only the audio stream labels that are bad it seems much more plausible that TwonkyMedia could output a corrected stream, since this shouldn't involve transcoding. I would have thought that this would be in their interest since the 8621 chipset appears in a lot of products and recording DVB-T streams must be pretty popular (especially in Europe). Anyone from TwonkyVision support reading this? :)

I have not tried the ProjectX fix as documented in the link above. I will probably end up buying VideoReDo as it seems to do the job and has a nice batch option.

digone52

Post by digone52 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi again.

I'm using WinTV too with a WinTV-HVR-3000, so I guess I'll have the same problem. I've so far only recorded from the composite input, so I guess that explains why I've not seen this problem yet. I'll try it once I've finished my current recording.

I'm also using VideoReDo on a trail - sounds like I'll end up licensing it then!

Thanks for the info.

andypiper

Post by andypiper » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:41 am

Its possible you will be ok, the HVR 3000 doesn't use a HW MPEG encoder, so its possible the software encoder will give more sane results. I would be interested to know, since you could argue that this is WinTV's fault more than anyone else's.

andypiper

Post by andypiper » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:20 am

Of course an MPEG encoder is not used at all for recording DVB-T :-P. My bad.

If you don't want to buy VideoReDo I have found that PVAStrumento (http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm#pvas) achieves the same result and is free. Its also pretty fast.

digone52

Post by digone52 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi Andy.

Yes, I've got the problem. New version of WinTV arrived today, and that has not corrected the problem by the looks of it :cry:

Thanks for the link, I'll give PVAStrumento a try.

Best wishes.

andypiper

Post by andypiper » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Unfortunately it seems you get what you pay for. PVAstrumento makes the streams playable but they end up with unsynced audio and video in fast forward. Its possible that some combination of settings may do the Right Thing but VideoReDo is looking like a safer bet at the moment.