LaCie Ethernet Big Disk and the X360 - a good combination?

graffitiwriter
AV Hardware:Xbox360
LaCie Ethernet Big Disk and the X360 - a good combination?

Post by graffitiwriter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi there everyone.

I've seen a fair amount of talk about the LaCie NAS devices on here; some good and some... less good. So, I thought it'd be prudent to gather a few words of experience before shelling out for a LaCie Ethernet Big Disk.

I'm wanting an NAS to use for backup data and to store photos, music, videos (.avi, divx, xvid, wmv, mpg, etc. - including some HD files) that I'll be able to access through the Xbox 360. I also have an Xbox 1 running XBMC, so it'd be great if that could also access files on the NAS. I can currently stream everything to the Xbox 360 from the PC, including some pretty big HD videos, without many problems, but an NAS would be a much better solution for me and as I understand it, that means decent Twonky support from the device - which is why I'm here.

I'm quite impressed by the affordability of the 1Tb LaCie Ethernet Big Disk, but often you get what you pay for. So can anyone offer any advice on the LaCie Ethernet Big Disk?
Is it a good companion for the Xbox360?
Is it likely to work out-of-the-box, or will it take some fiddling to get it running?
Am I likely to have to buy any additional software/hardware to get things working (I already have a router for the home network)?
Is there a good alternative anyone can recommend if the LaCie Ethernet Big Disk is a lame duck?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.

thomthom
AV Hardware:XBox 360, Vista Ultimate WMP

Re: LaCie Ethernet Big Disk and the X360 - a good combination?

Post by thomthom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi. What did you find out? I got pretty much the same questions as you.

graffitiwriter
AV Hardware:Xbox360

Post by graffitiwriter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Nothing I'm afraid. Didn't receive a reply here, and haven't found anything particularly conclusive anywhere else. I'm still wondering what to do :)

yackerena
AV Hardware:TECH.COM

Post by yackerena » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:27 am

What kind of Ethernet Cables can I use to connect the xbox 360 to Xbox Live? I need to get an Ethernet Cable long enough to reach my router from my 360. What kind of Ethernet Cable do I need and from what store?