Kodak EasyShare EX1011 Question/Problem

billybones
AV Hardware:DNS-323
Kodak EasyShare EX1011 Question/Problem

Post by billybones » Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 am

Hello,

I've recently setup TwonkyVision version 4.4.4i on my Dlink DNS-323 NAS Unit. It works perfectly with my PS3, Desktop computers, laptop and cell phone, however I am running into problems with my Kodak EasyShare EX1011 Picture Frame.

I can stream pictures and music with no problem to the Kodak unit, however I am unable to stream video to it. It indicates that the files I am trying to view are unsupported. The Kodak devices says that it supports the following video formats:

MOV, AVI, MPEG1 and MPEG4.

I have tried MPEG1, MPEG4 and AVI but it does not work.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully streamed video to the Kodak EasyShare EX1011 unit? I recently purchased it and if it does not work I may return it.

Thank-you

w7

Re: Kodak EasyShare EX1011 Question/Problem

Post by w7 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm

I think you might have a bitrate issue. I have the same frame and it fails to show any of my high-resolution DIVX (AVI) videos. Thankfully I don't care for this feature, but I recently noticed that the videos played right away when used with an experimental installation of the ORB server (www.orb.com).
Orb seems to transcode on the fly, and to a pretty poor image quality. I found it was unbearable for video even on the LAN (and find it is great of audio on the WAN). I conclude there is a good chance your frame will play videos if offered at sufficiently low bit rates, sizes, etc.

I also noticed that the frame fails to play some photos - I think, but have not fully analysed this yet - that it weaves the white flag at a very unusual aspect ratio. Cropping a digital image artistically to very slim or narrow seems to present a challange.

Conclusion? Just because it says "plays JPG and AVI" on the box, it won't play just about everything that is supported by those formats.
I doubt anything is wrong with your frame.