AV Hardware:Belinea OCenter (WindowsHomeServer) with TwonkyMedia
Pioner BDP-LX70a
Helios X3000
RokuLabs Soundbridge
ip-Deo
Pioneer BDP-LX70a

Post by Gregorian » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:40 am

Hi Folks.
I am trying to stream from TwonkyMedia (running on WindowsHomeServer) with a Pioneer BDP-LX70a. Unfortunately the Pioneer is not able to establish a connection (cnonnection refused).
Is anybody running a BDP-LX70a with TwonkyMedia and what profile is assigned to the PDB? :?:
Thanks a lot, Gregorian
:?

shaun999
AV Hardware:Pioneer BDP71 Blueray player with ethernet port, Twonky Media UPnP server on an i_Mac, apple time capsule provides the network, Lacie 2big 2TB network drive to store the media.

Re: Pioneer BDP-LX70a

Post by shaun999 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 pm

I use Twonky 4.6 with a Pioneer LX70a. It took a while to get it working. I use an I-Mac with ethernet cable connection to an Apple Time Capsule, and then I connect the Time Capsule also with ethernet cable to the Pioneer LX70a. Initially the Pioneer LX70a could not see my media files on my i-Mac, so the "HOME MEDIA GALLERY" screen on the Pioneer was greyed out.

My two mistakes were :-

1. The Pioneer will only allow a connection to Twonky if the LX70a sees a valid media file for it to play, so that is media files with extensions of .MPEG and MPG and .WMV version 9 and .VOB for video, or .MP3 and WAV for audio. If it does not see valid files, then the "HOME MEDIA GALLERY" on the LX70a will be greyed out. MP4 movie files created with Handbreak work OK (in stereo ONLY) but change the file extension from MP4 to MPEG so the Pioneer can see them. Alternatively a VOB file from Mac the ripper works with a .VOB file extension and has the benefit of AC3 which is 5.1 surround sound in your movies. A single large VOB file is best, otherwise you have to navigate your way through a dozen VOB files that appear on "HOME MEDIA GALLERY". Use the "play mode" button on the LX70a remote control to skip forwards or backwards through the movie. The normal fast forward button does not work. Note, that not all WAV file and WMV files work on the Pioneer, it seems to depend on the program that created them. And it does not like WMV10 or WMV11 video file, only WMV-9.

2. Even if there are valid files on your computers hard drive, the LX70a will not see them unless they are shared. Try putting them in /public and setting Twonky to look in /public to find them. This works on an Apple Mac or a normal PC.

I like the Pioneer LX70a as the UPnP client because it has very good quality video circuitry as you'd expect in a £1000 Blue Ray player. I prefer it to my Apple TV.

regards
Shaun