Lacie Ethernet Minidisk

NorthDave
AV Hardware:Lacie Ethernet MiniDisk, Lacie Ethernet Minidisk Home Edition, Linn Sneaky among others
Lacie Ethernet Minidisk

Post by NorthDave » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:55 am

Hi all,

I wanted to put something on to a forum that would be searchable from the web. I hope this is the logical place.

For a few months now we have been desperately trying to get Lacie and the Linn Sneaky to run happily alongside each other. We have both versions of the Lacie Ethernet disk available - home and non home. The home version does not ship with Twonky but is available from Lacie tech support. The non-home edition ships with Twonky but you cant access the admin page without a patch from the web.

I can only advise people not to buy this drive. The quality of the hardware is poor and the unit is very noisey. Worse than that though is the shocking technical support. You are looking at days and days of waiting to get your hands on the upgrade files. They do not publish a support number so everything should be done through email (their number is actually 020 7017 0040 for those who need it though!). We used to call them on a daily basis, gave up waiting and then purchased the non home edition just to be equally disappointed by this version. The people who you speak to on the phone make promises and then go back to sleep as soon as they hang up.

The big thing nobody tells you though is that to upgrade either version YOU MUST HAVE SET THE TIME RIGHT! I havent seen this on any forum or documentation but if you are getting update failed then this is probably why.

I hope this helps some poor soul who is banging his head against a wall in the future!

I also hope this isn't against any sort of rules of the forum or appears excessively negative.

Kos

Re: Lacie Ethernet Minidisk

Post by Kos » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 pm

I don't agree. Of all the tonnes of gadgets I have bought through the years Lacie's support has actually been quite good. Again and again their support guy has offered solutions (by e-mail and quickly) to make Twonky work in the full version (he offered the 'time solution' right away). And it works.

My worst experience is clearly Archos - stay away from that producer.

My best experience is Noxon .- by the way.

/kos
Setup: D-link635/Linksys(wifi), PhilipsSLA5520/Noxon iRadio, Sonos ZP90+ZP120+S5+CR200, iPod Touch & iPad2, Twonky6.0.30(server), MaxtorSS+/Qnap TS-109+112 (NAS'es), MediaMonkey 4(media manager)