SONY 46W4730 + DLNA

strela
AV Hardware:SONY 46W4730
SONY 46W4730 + DLNA

Post by strela » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:49 am

hi to everyone

I am new here, so apologize for any stupid question.

I have Sony 46W4730 http://www.easynotebooks.de/pub/more_do ... 58C456.pdf with DLNA (Network) port http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3707/46w4730pv2.jpg.

Is possible to watch .mkv, HD and FullHD movies from PC through UTP cabel via DLNA on TV.
I know in specifications they say, that I can watch only .jpg and .mp3, but I still have hope, that this could be possible.

Or maybe with http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/ ... 000series/ , if anybody knows.

Othrwise I must to buy Popcorn, HDX1000, or WD HD player.

I´ll be gratefull for any solution.

regards

mikle_01

Re: SONY 46W4730 + DLNA

Post by mikle_01 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am

Did you olve the problem!?

If not, install trial of Twonky and give a try...! If the Sony TV i s a full DLNA-compatible device, videos should work and be supported....
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

turnippi
AV Hardware:Sony KDL46-w4500
Sony Playstation 3
Ubuntu Server with Twonkymedia

Post by turnippi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:16 pm

I have Sony KDL-46W4500 television which is said to be DLNA compliant. After several hours of googling I found out that people seem to have a lot of problems with it and the only solution so far has been to use Windows Media Server or something like that. However, I have only Mac and Linux systems and no intention to get any Windows machines into my house, I have a small problem.

My TV is able to recognize Twonkymedia server (running on Ubuntu server) and I can browse through folders and files.

For MP3 files the TV is able to play music for one minute and then I just get the error message stating that there was an error.

For pictures (JPG) the TV just loads for ever and shows nothing.

So, my question is that will Twonkymedia provide support for Sony KDL-46w4500 tv at any point? Clearly Sony's TV is not purely DLNA compliant device and therefore the problem should be solved by Sony. But their official statement is that they have successfully tested it with Windows Media Server and that's enough for them. Would Twonkymedia be more customer friendly and help to solve this issue? I think everyone have this same problem with Sony DLNA "compliant" TVs and if Twnokymedia would support these TVs it would open up more markets for it.

mball
AV Hardware:Sony STR-DA2400ES, Sony KDL-46W5500 (Later), Humax Foxsat HDr, Sony BD-S350, Home Built Windows Home Server

Post by mball » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 pm

I too would be interested in the answers to these questions as Sony are marketing their products as DLNA compliant. I am looking at buying the Sony 46W5500 later this month when its released which should support streaming of Video, Photo and Music via DLNA

It would be nice if Twonky could confirm that its a Sony issue then we would have a case to bring with Sony.
Sony KDL-46W5500 TV, Sony BDP-350 Blue Ray Player, Sony STR-DA2400ESB Receiver, Humax HDPVR FreeSat Recorder, Wii, Home built Windows Home Server

craggy

Post by craggy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I run TwonkyMedia 4.4.5 on Ubuntu Linux as described above. I have just purchased a Sony KDL40W5500 and have run into the same problem as described on the W4500. My MP3s only play for around 10 seconds before failing and the same is true of the new video feature. I have contacted Sony today, but I suspect that I will receive the same response as above.

I work in IT and have had a little experience of both DLNA and Interoperability testing (such as OMA test fests and Wi-Fi certification) professionally, and DLNA seems to be a joke. From reading around, interoperability testing for 'DLNA compliant' devices seems to be poor to non-existent and the support from the companies seems to match it. Quite how something aimed at making life easy for non-techies expects to get market leverage with such dismal interoperability, I have no idea.

If anyone has any suggestions for how I get my TV to play complete songs from Twonky, I'd be pleased to hear them.

My next steps are to try 4.4.11 and then maybe a trial version of v5, but other than that, does anyone have any suggestions for DLNA on Linux?

The only other option I've seen (and I do have it running) is M3diaT0mb, which is UPnP rather than DLNA, and the TV fails to connect to it. Forgive the L33t5p34k there, but this forum appears to censor the word M3diaT0mb to "MediaTomb"

/Craig

sverre
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia KDL-40W4500 (DLNA audio + photo)
Qnap TS-109 II with TwonkyMedia Server 4.4.9

Post by sverre » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:36 pm

craggy wrote:My next steps are to try 4.4.11 and then maybe a trial version of v5, but other than that, does anyone have any suggestions for DLNA on Linux?
/Craig
Let us know if you manage to get some TwonkyMedia stuff working with the Sony Bravia. I ended up using minidlna (sourceforge project) instead of the preinstalled TwonkyMedia Server 4.4.9 on my NAS because I couldn't get TMS to work.

craggy

Post by craggy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:03 am

So far Sony have got back to me with the polite information that they don't support queries regarding linux!
I have told them that the behaviour is the same for TwonkyServer on Windows.

Update - Thanks for the tip-off, I've installed MiniDLNA and after a few hours of tinkering, everything is working pretty well - music, photos and videos all working on my KDL40W5500. I don't think that I'll bother shelling out for an upgrade as there's no guarantee that it will work.

All that this proves to me is that DLNA is not ready for public consumption. Setting this up was a fairly technical task that the average consumer should never have to do. This is pretty much exactly what I do for a living, and as I say, it took me several hours.

Anyone that has a Sony TV and a NAS or server with Twonky on it is in for a nasty surprise when they try to get them to play nicely together.

NeutralZone
AV Hardware:PS3 KDL40W5500, Core2Duo PC running Vista64 and Windows 7

Post by NeutralZone » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 am

Hi I have been trying to get this to work for some time now, it does appear to alter dependant on the bit rate of the MP3's, however what is thsi MiniDNLA thing i cant find anything, can you advise please, so far Media player will do all except HD video, i cant find any program that will stream video like i can to my Playstation, with which I use Tverisity. however I have a AVCHD cam and would like to stream them straight to the TV.

craggy

Post by craggy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:09 am

MiniDLNA is an alternative to Twonky if you run Linux (or use a NAS that is based on Linux). It's only at alpha release, and you have to compile it from sources in the CVS repository on Sourceforge.
I don't have a HD Camcorder, so I can't say if MiniDLNA supports streaming AVCHD to the TV. The Mpeg2 videos from my standard-def Handycam work fine as does my all my MP3 music (256 kbps).

I have no idea what Windows supports If that's what you mean by Media Player.

/Craig

craggy

Post by craggy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:48 pm

OK, so it's a forum owned by Twonky, but they now also censor the word MíníDLNA as well as MédiaTomb to "MiniDLNA".

Just to reiterate - if you run a linux server or a linux based NAS, Twonky v4 does not work with Sony TVs. As both are supposedly DLNA certified, and fail to work together then I have no qualms in recommending MíníDLNA to anyone technically savvy enough to use it.

* edited to specify which version of Twonky I have used
Last edited by craggy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lothar01
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia KDL40W5500,
Raidsonic NAS-4220,
Technisat S2 Satelite Receiver,
KISS DVD Player 508

Post by Lothar01 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Hello All,
I have a Sony Bravia KDL 40w5500 and a Raidsonic NAS-4220 with Twonky running on it.
For my system I found a solution to get the TV work with Twonky.
After installation I had the situation that picture viewing worked but video and music streaming was interrupted after 5 to 10 seconds. I used on my NAS the Twonky 4.4.9 version which I had downloaded from Raidsonic. The TV was identified as DLNA 1.5 device. After tinkering around for some hours I changed back to twonky version 4.4 which was delivered as trial with my NAS. Surprisingly it worked! I can stream Music and Video without interruptions. The difference I found is in the list of connected devices, the TV in now identified as "generic media receiver". Maybe it will work also with other Tvonky versions if the list of connected device is changed to "generic media receiver" instead of "DLNA 1.5". For me it works with Twonky 4.4 and I have no need to change to a newer version.
Regards
Lothar01

mball
AV Hardware:Sony STR-DA2400ES, Sony KDL-46W5500 (Later), Humax Foxsat HDr, Sony BD-S350, Home Built Windows Home Server

Post by mball » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:42 pm

I am using TwonkyMedia with Sony KDL-46W5500 and I can play jpg, mp3 and my home movies (mpg and wmv) with no problems at all, worked as soon as I set up the TV.

My only problem is playing my ripped off DVD's. I have all my DVD's ripped off into separate folders with multiple VOB files of the movie in each folder. This works well with a couple of computers running My Movies and Windows Visa. However, the TV will only play one of the VOB files then stops, you then need to select the next VOB in line for the next part of the movie (not ideal)

If anyone has any fixes for above problem other than re-coding or combining VOBs into one then please let me know.
Sony KDL-46W5500 TV, Sony BDP-350 Blue Ray Player, Sony STR-DA2400ESB Receiver, Humax HDPVR FreeSat Recorder, Wii, Home built Windows Home Server

goldman82
AV Hardware:Sony KDL-40W5500

Post by goldman82 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi,

ich have a SONY KDL 40W5500 since yesterday. I have read that the only DLNA Server that works is the Twonky Server. I have installed any version of it but Music and Video doesn´t work. In Mediamenü of the TV i can browse all pictures of the Mediaserver but i get no list of music and videos.

What did i wrong? Any ideas?

thanks
Goldman82

craggy

Post by craggy » Mon May 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi goldman82,

I can't speak for Twonky version 5 as I don't have it, but I have not been able to get any of several sub-versions of Twonky 4 to work at all with the W5500.
I have read that the TV works with Windows Media Server (or whatever they call it - it's part of Windows from XP SP3 onwards IIRC) and that for Sony, this is the acme of interoperability, and so IOP testing seems to have stopped once they found out that this works.

I raised a ticket with Sony's support, which has been passed up to the 'technical' level, but I've heard nothing in about 4 weeks.

The only DLNA server that I have tried that works (my server runs on Linux, so no WM for me) is called MíníDLNA, which is an open source (and free) server.
You should note that the video formats that the TV supports when you do get it working are limited to those that Sony's digital camcorders record in, so you won't be streaming DiVX encoded movies no matter what you do.
What I have found (again, not with Twonky!) is that straight MPEG2 rips from a DVD (approx 5GB per film) work perfectly with the TV - including 5.1 Dolby Digital surround.

Best of Luck
Craig

parisien
AV Hardware:vista
sony bravia kdl 52w5500

Post by parisien » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm

hello

i have exactly the same problem.

i have a 52w5500 and i can see only pictures on my tv. ni music, no video.

i have mpg videos that workes on my tv with the dlan server of wmp but i can not see the files with twonky media.

what can i do ?

another question, is there a software that transcode divx to mpg2 on the fly so that we can see divx videos on the tv with the dlna server ? (this is for when i will make working the video of twonky with my tv)

i am sorry my english is not good at all.