Portable WiFi clients

steamhead
Portable WiFi clients

Post by steamhead » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi, I've got Twonky working wonderfully with a PS3, but I'd also like some form of portable client that I could take from room to room, sort of like a traditional Radio with built in speakers, but getting music from Twonky over WiFi.

The Logitech Squeezebox Boom would fit the bill, but I can't see any evidence it would support Twonky, it seems to suggest using Logitech's own server.

Does anybody have any idea of portable players that would fit the bill?

SimonMackay
AV Hardware:Windows Media Player 11 (media server), TwonkyMedia Manager, Nokia N85

Re: Portable WiFi clients

Post by SimonMackay » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:03 am

Hi!

The "Internet radios" that are slowly but surely flooding the market are designed like a table radio or clock radio, having the built-in speakers that those radios have, but they have a built-in WiFi (802.11g WPA) client and functionality to pick up Internet radio stations from an onboard directory as well as, in most cases, FM and/or DAB radio. They will also have support for DLNA-based media play functionality. Most of the companies who are selling "premium" table radios are running at least one model with this functionality in their lineup. As far as I know, the Sanyo R227 Internet radio, which can play from DLNA Media Servers, is the most affordable solution for this class of radio.

The Revo Pico RadioStation, Roberts Stream 202 and the Pure Evoke Flow Internet radios are DLNA-compliant WiFi client devices in the form of traditional portable radios. These three radios can work from AC power or from a rechargeable battery pack, or, in the case of the Roberts, regular D-size batteries installed inside the set.

With regards,

Simon Mackay

http://homenetworking01.wordpress.com/

steamhead

Post by steamhead » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks very much, I'll look those up

kayanat
AV Hardware:NONE

Post by kayanat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 am

How can i create a portable wifi hot spot? I have two mobiles that use Wifi. rather than pay for two data plans I rather have a USB 3G card and some type of mobile router. is there a small battery powered device I can use for this? NOTE: the Idea is to have a portable router in one of my pockets that's connected to a Verizon USB modem. That way may laptop and two phones can all use the same data connection?