WDTV with Twonky Media experience

pino
AV Hardware:MediaPlayer: Western Digital: WDTV
Firmware: WDLXTV 0.5.6.1
WDTV Apps: Weather&RSS (webserver addons 0.2), Apple Trailers (0.3.3.1beta), YouTube (r249), Shoutcast (no audio),
testing TwonkyMedia 30 days Trial, TVersity and PlayOn
Wireless USB stick: Linksys wusb600n with WPA2 (ralink rt2870)
USB Stick: 16GB Sony stick | W. Router: Linksys (Cisco) WRT160N router
WDTV with Twonky Media experience

Post by pino » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 pm

I just started testing Western Digital's Mediaplayer (WDTV) with Twonky Media yesterday.

My software specs:
Twonky mediamanager 1.2
Twonky server 5.0.68

Unofficial WDTV firmware from B-rad.cc: WDLXTV 0.5.6.1
http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv
WDTV essential Application: B-rad.cc Upnp (0.2.2)
http://b-rad.cc/326/wdlxtv-app-pack-upnp-djmount
Other WDTV Applications: Weather&RSS (webserver addons 0.2), Apple Trailers (0.3.3.1beta), YouTube (r249), Shoutcast (no audio)

My hardware specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium desktop pc
WDTV
Wireless USB stick: Linksys wusb600n with WPA2 (ralink rt2870) plugged in the WDTV
USB Stick: 16GB Sony stick plugged in the WDTV
W. Router: Linksys (Cisco) WRT160N router

I want to share my experience on this forum with WDTV and Twonky. I also posted it on the WDTV forum community here (http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?top ... 8#msg16618)

Video test:
network files with 480p quality works correctly with audio/video, pausing,play,stop work, ffw isn't working correct.

network files with 720p quality works correctly with audio/video (haven't checked 5.1 audio yet), pausing,play,stop work, ffw isn't working correct.

The response time that the videos show up on the WDTV is much quicker then with TVersity.

Photos test: (as long as you open Upnp via WDTV 'Photo' menu)
Work but going to next photo by pressing next on remote didn't work (maybe because I had audio running) still further test ongoing.

Music test:
Works correctly with network files (mp3 tested only) as long as you open Upnp via WDTV 'Music' menu
Playlist do work. Or playing whole folder.
Play/pause/stop works
Shoutcast streams do play however they stutter the file size that is shown is 8GB. I hope this could work in the future. Don't know what causes the problem.

Other features:
The playlist feature also works nicely for e.g. video and audio.
You can create a playlist on desktop pc and have it run at

If anyone can solve the shoutcast audio problem that would be great.

I must admit I've also tested TVersity and I will also test PlayOn software.
The TVersity software had problems with 720p files (no audio signal).

I will post screenshot later this week. :wink:

STurtle
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-219p with TMS

Re: WDTV with Twonky Media experience

Post by STurtle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 pm

What is wrong with the official firmware for this device?

pino
AV Hardware:MediaPlayer: Western Digital: WDTV
Firmware: WDLXTV 0.5.6.1
WDTV Apps: Weather&RSS (webserver addons 0.2), Apple Trailers (0.3.3.1beta), YouTube (r249), Shoutcast (no audio),
testing TwonkyMedia 30 days Trial, TVersity and PlayOn
Wireless USB stick: Linksys wusb600n with WPA2 (ralink rt2870)
USB Stick: 16GB Sony stick | W. Router: Linksys (Cisco) WRT160N router

Post by pino » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 pm

STurtle wrote:What is wrong with the official firmware for this device?
The first version of the WDTV didn't have network connection build in. With the unofficial firmware from WDLXTV you can also have network access with the 'old' WDTV. (The new WDTV Live does have network connection). However you still need to buy a separate network usb stick and put it in the back of the WDTV.

I'm using XBMC at the moment with my WDTV and WDLXTV 0.5.6.1 firmware and Upnp application installed on the usb stick and Upnp activated in XBMC. 720p runs nicely. However i'm still missing the Shoutcast feature (which didn't work correctly however via Twonky -audio hickups-).

STurtle
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-219p with TMS

Post by STurtle » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Ah, ok. I was just wondering whether there are other features that I might miss out.

SHOUTcast works fine for me.

However, my WD TV Live is connected by ethernet cable to a D-Link DAP-1522 wireless bridge. This is a tat more expensive than a USB-WLan Adapter, but allows me to connect other wired devices in my living room, too. Another advantage is that there are no compatibility problems, since there is no need to configure the network on the WD TV Live.