Onkyo TX-NR807

haugan
AV Hardware:Twonky Server
Zyxel DMA-1000
Onkyo TX-NR807

Post by haugan » Thu May 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi there,

I'd like to know, if its possible to play FLAC audio files streamed byTwonkyServer and is it also possible to control the Onkyo TX-NR807 by an DMC like TwonkyMedia.

Imho it would be perfect to have a DMC app on iPod touch/iPhone or Android or NetPC to control the Onkyo TX-NR807 / TwonkyServer without using the TV.

Has anyone experience in this?

Thanks

wullux
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-119
Onkyo TX

Re: Onkyo TX-NR807

Post by wullux » Mon May 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, you can stream FLAC files to your Onkyo. Unfornately fast forward, rewind and pause are not supported :(

haugan
AV Hardware:Twonky Server
Zyxel DMA-1000

Post by haugan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks for your answer wullux. At least FLAC works. Maybe a firmware update in the hopefully near future will solve the existing limitations.

Does anyone use DMC like an iPhone/iPod touch app (or Android app) to control the TX-NR807? What apps can you suggest?

Darr247
AV Hardware:Onkyo TX-NR807, Oppo BDP-83, Tivo S3 THX, Tivo S4 XL, WD MyBook World Edition (white lights, with Twonky 5.1.9 in firmware), multiple Windows and Linux boxes on LAN running TVersity, uShare, et al media server software.

Post by Darr247 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:37 am

[quote="haugan"]
Does anyone use DMC like an iPhone/iPod touch app (or Android app) to control the TX-NR807? What apps can you suggest?[/quote]

For a windows computer (or linux + WINE, I guess) on your LAN there is NRcontrol... the author's blog (and a download link for 0.18b) is at http://avrnet.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/nrcontrol-v0-18/
I use it here and it works great with my TX-NR807.

Though it says "Designed for iPhone and iPad" the $5 oControl app from the App[le]Store works good on the ipod touch, too (the iDevice needs to be connected to the same LAN via WiFi as the AVR, obviously). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oremote/id393837174?mt=8

I have not tried Onkyo's free app. They are trying to force everyone to it by 'closing' their control-codes specification, though, meaning for newer AVRs (released 2011 and later) developers will have to guess at what !1xxxxxx codes/responses to use/expect.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-re ... 95144?mt=8

One of the nice features about NRcontrol, in my opinion, is he gives you the possibility to manually enter codes (click the Display button on its right side)... e.g. !1NTCSTOP duplicates the hand-held remote's Stop button function when playing media files from a server (there is no Stop button anywhere on the face of the receiver - only on the hand held remote - and Gruehar mainly duplicated in NRcontrol the buttons and functions available on the receiver itself).