Problems streaming files WD My Book to Yamaha 2065 receiver

academicbarzo
AV Hardware:Western Digital MY Book 1 TB (NAS); Yamaha RX-V2065 DNLA network AV receiver; BTHome Hub 2.0 Wireless N ASDL modem router, Netgear Gigabit 8 Switch; Powerline Adapters x 2; Acer PC, Macbook Unibody Laptop, PS3, X-Box 360, Wii, Toshiba 46SV605 DNLA LED-LCD TV
Problems streaming files WD My Book to Yamaha 2065 receiver

Post by academicbarzo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi - real problem that is beyond my knowledge to solve, so help appreciated. I'm something of a 'networking novice' as, until now, I've never had a real problem to deal with (besides some basic port fowarding to make Playstation Network and my BT Homehub play ball).

Issue is this. Yesterday replaced a failing Buffalo NAS drive with a WD My Book World Edition NAS, with built-in TwonkyMedia server. Nothing else in my kit has changed. Still using BT HomeHub 2.0 (NAS drive directly connected) to Powerline adapters to Netgear switch to all my equipment downstairs. Installed the WD NAS with minimal concern (software a bit flaky), and everything working nicely (even Time Machine with my Macbook, which never really worked the Buffalo). PS3 and X-Box 360 both see the device (both connected wirelessly) and stream from it no problem. I've now been trying for nearly 24 hours to get the Yamaha AV receiver to see it. My receiver is a Yamaha 2065, which is DNLA certified for streaming music files only. The Yamaha saw my Buffalo NAS without issue, and was able to stream music from it.

Yamaha still connects to the 'net - net radio working fine, and network settings using DHCP seem fine (has MAC adress, IP address, etc). It will not see the WD drive. Updates the list ok (List Updated) message, but no folders or drives visible. Worked fine with my Buffalo NAS. I have confirmed in the WD online settings for Twonky that it is seeing the Yamaha - I have tried resetting the Twonky database and changing the interface options and to no avail. Have tried resetting router, disabling the firewall, etc. also to no avail. The Yamaha stubbornly refuses to see any files on the NAS drive. Anybody any ideas? I have been searching various fora to no avail as yet. Is it a port problem (think that's unlikely as disabling the hardware firewall did nothing)? Any suggestions gratefully received.

academicbarzo
AV Hardware:Western Digital MY Book 1 TB (NAS); Yamaha RX-V2065 DNLA network AV receiver; BTHome Hub 2.0 Wireless N ASDL modem router, Netgear Gigabit 8 Switch; Powerline Adapters x 2; Acer PC, Macbook Unibody Laptop, PS3, X-Box 360, Wii, Toshiba 46SV605 DNLA LED-LCD TV

Re: Problems streaming files WD My Book to Yamaha 2065 receiver

Post by academicbarzo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Ok. Can now confirm that the problem lies with the software version of the TwonkyMedia Server (v5.1) preinstalled on the WD MyBook World Edition NAS drive. How do I know for certain? Well, decided to install a trial version of TwonkyMedia Server software (v6.0) on my PC, and have it share the files on the WD NAS. Guess what? It worked. Once the server had configured by scanning files on the NAS, the Yamaha could see it and was playing back the files. Conclusion - nothing to do with the router, but to do with the Twonky v.5.1 built in to the WD drive. Have now e-mailed WD re: an upgrade to the box, as otherwise it is going back to Amazon for a full refund.

Anyone here know whether it is possible to install a copy of v6/update TwonkyMedia on the WD NAS?

barbino
AV Hardware:WDC Book World Edition White Light, WD TV Live

Re: Problems streaming files WD My Book to Yamaha 2065 receiver

Post by barbino » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 pm

yep, it is possible, but then you will need to buy a license key, as western digital volume license seems not to cover that, if you are willing to take the plunge, you can find the way to do it at http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

I did try it, worked fine, though, overall, I reverted to 5.1.6, as 6.0 seems to make my drive sluggish

cheers, c