Samsung TV's with DLNA

finster
AV Hardware:Viglen MPC-L Server
Samsung TV's with DLNA

Post by finster » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:36 am

Hi all,

I've got TwonkyMedia Server - originally bought to stream to my Xbox 360.

I'm now in the market for a new 40" TV so am looking into DLNA-compatible ones. The one I am looking at is the "Samsung LE40C580" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003DNSJ5Y/), and it has "AllShare" which I believe is Samsung's name for the DLNA features. (It also has Freeview HD which is a feature I want in the new TV).

I've searched the Twonky forums and can find loads of issues with Samsung TV's/Blu-Ray players. I've also read that AllShare isn't quite DLNA compatible :(

So my question is, should I go for the Samsung or is it a lot of hassle to get it working?

All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks.

zei20t
AV Hardware:WHS + Twonky Server, Samsung UA40C6900, Samsung HT-C5500

Re: Samsung TV's with DLNA

Post by zei20t » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:45 pm

i rekon you should buy the tv that you want, the fact that you can stream something should be secondary to picture quality and picture enhancing functions.

that said, the samsungs work well with almost every file format except MKVs....... well, thats what im finding.

eventually they will get there and it will all 'just work'

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

MKVs work fine to my B650 as long as you don't set the number of reframes too high when encoding them.

I use MediaCoder to encode my MKVs and have it set to use level 4.1 if that means anything to you - the higher levels tend to set too many reframes and then they are unplayable on the TV.

Apologies for being quite vague as I don't fully understand all of the details around MKV but know that this setting creates usable files.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

finster
AV Hardware:Viglen MPC-L Server

Post by finster » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks all, I currently don't have many MKV's so this won't cause me too many problems.

I was also looking at the Sony KDL40EX403U, but this is more expensive so I think I'll stick with the Samsung.

Thanks again.