LG BX580 and Twonky

steamhead
LG BX580 and Twonky

Post by steamhead » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Recently bought an LG BX580 which initially worked with Twonky, albeit a bit awkwardly (it took several minutes for it to appear). Now after upgrading to the latest firmware it won't see it at all. It will see the Samba shares on the very same box, it will see Windows Media players on the same network, but not the Twonky Server.

The Twonky server is visible to my PS3 on the network, and works through the web browser, so it's definitely up.

So far LG support have been about as effective as a chocolate Tea Pot in getting to the bottom of issues with their box. So I was wondering if anyone here has Twonky working with the LG BX580 and also whether somebody could answer the question as to whether Twonky is officially DLNA certified, so I can not get into the Twonky vs LG fault argument.

steamhead

Re: LG BX580 and Twonky

Post by steamhead » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Well I have managed to get the BX580 seeing Twonky again.

I went into the "Media Receivers" page and saw that Twonky saw the box as an "LG Blu-Ray Player". I deleted it off the list and tried to connect again, and this time the box reappeared in Twonky as a "Generic Media Receiver", but still didn't show up on the BX580. Out of sheer desperation I reset it to "LG Blu-Ray Player" and it then started finding it again.

I have no idea why changing it, and changing it back fixed it, but at least in deleting it I got to see that the LG box is in some way reporting itself differently to Twonky with the latest firmware, because I didn't set it to "LG Blu-Ray Player" initially.

I do still have one last mystery with the BX580 and Twonky though. When I go into the feature to connect to a server it brings up a list of all sharing devices on my network. Instantly this includes any box with file shares (Windows or Samba), but it can take up to 2 minutes for Twonky to appear on the list.

When I spoke with LG support they told me I should only need to "choose" my media server once, and it would remember it, from one use to the next. This works if I connect to a simple file share, but if I'd connected to my Twonky server, I get the list to select it again, and have to wait 2 minutes before it appears. At first I'd thought it was something to do with the way the BX580 handled media servers, but then I noticed it saw any Windows Media Servers instantly, but not Twonky ones.

Any suggestions greatfully accepted.

steamhead

Post by steamhead » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Seems I spoke too soon, the visibility of Twonky to the BX580 is intermittently reliable. Or to put it more precisely, it turned up once after I reset everything, now it won't play ball at all.

So if anyone at Twonky Towers has some LG test equipment, or have a friendly contact within LG, I'd appreciate somebody looking at this. As a consumer I suspect I will be hard pressed proving to either side which side is at fault here.

nbast
AV Hardware:Twonky server running on a Mac mini serving to PS3 and multiple Macs running XMBC and an LG TV with built in DLNA client.

Post by nbast » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 am

Our LG TV is similarly problematic. It used to work great, but for the past several months the TV sees random/incomplete folders from the Twonky library and is unable to navigate out of them.

Computer, iPad, and PS3 clients work perfectly of course...

imsully
AV Hardware:LG BD5970

Post by imsully » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:55 am

I have the exact same issue with my LG BD570 (including being able to always see the shares). The inconsistency is simply maddening. I have two of these (on different firmware releases) and it is simply amazing how they will sometimes see the twonky server and other times not. No rhyme or reason that I can tell. Sometimes one sees it, sometimes the other, sometimes both, sometimes neither. Every minute is a gamble. I have some other non-LG DLNA devices that always see the server.

I can go weeks without an issue and weeks with never seeing the server (which is what I am currently experiencing and what brought me to this board). Any insight would be truly appreciated as sooner or later I am bound to smash one of these things.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm

TwonkyServer 6.0 is the first DLNA-certified digital media server software. You can view the certificate for yourself on the DLNA.org site. :)

I scanned your post, and normally dropped connections or dropped server detection is a client issue (and not a server issue). Check your TV for firmware updates.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/