New WD TV Firmware Update May Be Bad [False alarm]

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
New WD TV Firmware Update May Be Bad [False alarm]

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:03 pm

We just updated our WD TV Live to the newest firmware which is 1.04.31_V. Now we're experiencing serious problems when we try to push or pull audio or video.

Details:

- If you push or pull audio you hear a 1/4 sec of the audio then silence for the rest of the audio track. We've tried MP3, AAC, 3GP and FLAC and none seem to work for us.

- It also doesn't want to play any of the videos that it used to be able to play. They just continously load.

Although we don't recommend that anyone try this update, it you want to try and reproduce our findings, make sure that you save your old firmware to a USB drive before installing the update.

- Rick

UPDATE:

We tried restoring our settings back to the factory defaults. After doing so, the device started working correctly again. We're now thinking there may have been a glitch when we updated the device.

Bottom Line: This appears to be a false alarm. After restoring factory settings, we upgraded to the newest firmware again and now everything seems to be working fine.
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

pcfe
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-439 Pro
Fedora 12 x86_64
PS3

Re: Warning: New WD TV Firmware Update May Be Bad

Post by pcfe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi Rick,

I had already updated my WD TV Live before reading this thread, here are my findings;

Part number: WDBAAP0000NBK
Firmware: 1.04.31_V

MP3 pull: works fine
h264 pull: works fine

I did not try other formats. If you want, I'll dig for more.

It would seem your test device had a hiccup during update. Maybe some other user can report their findings with 1.04.31_V

One thing to note on my update, as seemingly at each update, I had to boot it once with nothing but power connected (HDMI and network out) to get it to display on my TV. Prior to this it would light the power LED but not display anything on the TV, nor respond to poweroff (even after a good 10 minutes wait since poweron).

RU

PCFE
P.S.: If I am not mistaken, this topic exists twice (9532 and 9533), can you please kill the duplicate?
Last edited by pcfe on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks for sharing this info. Glad to hear that pull still works. Is there a way that you can test push with a computer or mobile device?

- Rick

pcfe
Fedora 12 x86_64
PS3

Post by pcfe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:06 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Is there a way that you can test push with a computer or mobile device?
Not with a supported setup, the phone runs maemo5 and no Windows at hand. But, TMM work well enough under wine[1].

- Push of h264 works. (2,5 minutes running so far)
- Push of mp3 works. (played one entire song)

RU

PCFE
[1]for others reading this; on some launches noting will launch but a subsequent launch always works. Plus there's an selinux avc deny for mmap_zero. For me this is acceptable as I seldom use TMM under wine, my main use is TwonkyServer on a linux server.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:40 pm

We tried restoring our settings back to the factory defaults. After doing so, the device started working correctly again. We're now thinking there may have been a glitch when we updated the device.

Bottom Line: This appears to be a false alarm. After restring factory settings, we upgraded to the newest firmware again and now everything seems to be working fine.

- Rick

P.S. Thanks to Hai for investigating this issue.

pcfe
Fedora 12 x86_64
PS3

Post by pcfe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:44 pm

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Bottom Line: This appears to be a false alarm.
Still, thanks for the warning, I'd rather have a false alarm than a bricked device :D