Onkyo TX-NR905 - Twonky settings

Sirius2008
AV Hardware:AV-Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR905; Server: Windows 7 64bit PC, to be replaced by NAS soon; iPhone 3G
Onkyo TX-NR905 - Twonky settings

Post by Sirius2008 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:32 am

Hi,

I do have an Onkyo TX-NR905. I updated to Firmware 1.09 and can play music from Twonky Server.
I am building up my music database using EAC and REACT with MP3 in VBR-2 (Lame 3.98.4) and FLAC. While FLAC does obviously not work on the Onkyo, MP3 does play. I have tried both on WLAN 54g and Gbit LAN.
My questions are:

1) When I look at my TV display it says MP3 @ 128kbps - in reality it should be around 200kbps. - Any guess what is wrong?? I have tried both on WLAN 54g and Gbit LAN.

2) Which server settings should I use in terms of device type? It is presently set to Generic DLNA 1.0 with extended standard navigation. Is that good or do you have a better suggestion? Does the device type setting have any influence on the MP3 bitrate?

3) Any other suggestions, especially regarding the NAS solution. I am thinking about the Synology DS211+ (because of its eSATA and larger memory). Is the memory and processor speed any use when displaying photographs on the TV? My photographs are in CR2 format.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Onkyo TX-NR905 - Twonky settings

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon May 09, 2011 5:04 pm

1) When I look at my TV display it says MP3 @ 128kbps - in reality it should be around 200kbps. - Any guess what is wrong?? I have tried both on WLAN 54g and Gbit LAN.
I suspect the reason it's showing 128kbps is because the files are VBR. In reality, the bitrate changes all of the time, but they probably only show the average bitrate. I'm sure the actual datarate of your music files spikes up to 200kbps (or higher) on complex music passages.
2) Which server settings should I use in terms of device type? It is presently set to Generic DLNA 1.0 with extended standard navigation. Is that good or do you have a better suggestion? Does the device type setting have any influence on the MP3 bitrate?
If you don't see an Onkyo profile in the list, go with whatever TwonkyServer selected as the default. This setting shouldn't have any influence on the bitrate displayed.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/