Can't connect to Twonky Media Server from My Onkyo TX_NR808

Dalman65
AV Hardware:Onkyo tx nr808
Playstation 3
WD TV Live
Windows Vista PC (Quadcore)
Can't connect to Twonky Media Server from My Onkyo TX_NR808

Post by Dalman65 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:28 pm

I have my Onkyo connected to the pc that has the Twonky Media Server through a wired Gigabit connection. The router is a D-link DIR 655 that is acting as the DHCP Server and a Netgear GIS108 8 port Gigabit switch. The UnPNP is enabled in the router.

I have three different Media Servers running on my Storage PC. Windows Media Player, PS3 Media Server and now Twonky. I am adding twonky in hopes of being able to stream media to my receiver. I am running Windows Vista with all the latest patches etc.........

The Onkyo is currently able to view and play files from the first two servers but does not see the Twonky Media server. It also doesn't see the Mobile media server either. I have all my devices with reserved IP addresses so they never change. I see the IP address of teh Onkyo in the Media renderer setup of the Twonky server.

The only option I have in the Play to list is the TM player.

Any help would be great. I would love to beable to use this product.

Thanks

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Can't connect to Twonky Media Server from My Onkyo TX_NR

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:34 pm

I've been investigating a problem that seems very similar to the one that you are seeing. Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Problem:
Some users are having problems seeing TwonkyServer from their connected media players and mobile devices.

Devices on the Wi-Fi side of the router can see each other, but TwonkyServer running on a PC connected to the wired Ethernet side can’t be seen by the Wi-Fi devices.

Solution:
Make sure that multicast is enabled in your router settings. Some routers like the D-Link DIR-655 set the “Enable Multicast Streams” setting to OFF. If you have a D-Link router, you can change this setting under ADVANCED -> ADVANCED NETWORK. Also make sure that UPnP is enabled as well. In most cases this is enabled by default.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Dalman65
Playstation 3
WD TV Live

Post by Dalman65 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:50 pm

All the devices other than Twonky Mobile are on the wired side connected through a netgear gigabit switch. The Dlink DIR 655 Router is only connected to the switch to serve addresses and give wireless access. That said, I did check to ensure that the Multicast and UPnP were enabled and they are.

A wierd thing I did notice though was that the IP Address for the Twonky Server (not mobile) was 127.0.0.1. I viewed this on the right click properties of the Twonky Server in my Network screen (Windows Vista). My PS3 Media Server was a 196.168.0.XXX which the receiver can see. Could this be why my Onkyo and anything else can't see the Twonky Media Server??? I looked around on the servers URL page and could not find anywhere to adjust this to a 196 address.

Thank you for all your help. Hopefuly we will figure this out. I am really excited about the streaming my media from the PC to the receiver.

Best Regards

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 pm

It's normal for the IP address of the server to sometimes begin with 127. That's a loopback address and should work fine.

Another thing you might want to try is to plug your receiver directly into your D-Link router for testing. I've seen situations where having switches plugged into routers caused the server to not appear. Those are the only two suggestions I have. Hopefully another one of the forum members will have other suggestions.

- Rick

Dalman65
Playstation 3
WD TV Live

Post by Dalman65 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks Rick for your help I will try that tonight.

I just find it odd that My PS3 can see these servers and my Onkyo can not. The are both connected to the network the exact same way. They are all connected via the switch before the router. Should I be able to see my Receiver as a Media device in My Network in Vista. I see it in the Map view but no where else. I can access the receiver via its URL from My wired PC (The one that has Twonky Server on it). Also my PS3 Media server is also on the same computer as the Twonky server and my Onkyo can see that and it can see my Receiver. Only the Twonky Server is not seen.

All Device have been set with static IP's. Every other device can see every server minus the Onkyo. It only sees the PS3 MS and the Micrsoft Media Share.

Anyone else have any Ideas????????????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am

I agree this doesn't make any sense. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.

- Rick

Darr247
AV Hardware:Onkyo TX-NR807, Oppo BDP-83, Tivo S3 THX, Tivo S4 XL, WD MyBook World Edition (white lights, with Twonky 5.1.9 in firmware), multiple Windows and Linux boxes on LAN running TVersity, uShare, et al media server software.

Post by Darr247 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:56 am

In my experience, Onkyo AVR's don't refresh the local media server half of the NET input correctly.
They usually pick up NEW media servers just fine; they just don't want to refresh the list correctly.

The only way I've found to *make* them refresh after e.g. a media server is renamed, is to turn the receiver to Standby (they have no "Off"; only On and Standby), unplug either end of the 'mains' cord (it takes 3 or 4 seconds for the caps to discharge), plug it back in, turn on the receiver, and select the NET input again. It will say "initializing..." for 30 seconds or so, then the media server that changed its name will show up wih the correct name.