Making Alphabet Letters Show When Scrolling

msandover

Post by msandover » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible when I define a server container to get the nice alphabet letters to show like they do when you browse, for example, Artists from the built-in Twonky browse function?

Its easy to watch the letters as they go through the alphabet when you're browsing quickly. But home-grown browsing just gets a "progress" dot in so I still must watch the scrolling names themselves. Any way to code in the letters somehow?

plitzi

Post by plitzi » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:05 pm

May be this is not a common configuration (nobody seams to be interested in or post an answer), but I also use the Twonky-Music-Server together with a Roku-client (M2000, I love this display!). And I miss the big letter while bowsing too. With the version 3.1 of the server it works fine, this means, that it can't be a problem with the Roku-firmware.

Is there hope, that this feature comes back with a further version?

Jörg

pew
AV Hardware:Roku M2000, Roku M1001
Playstation 3
Phillips Stremium TV

Post by pew » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:59 pm

I have the same issue and would like to get insight on when this will could be fixed... Using M2000 for kitchen and Netgear EVA700 for lounge and video streaming.

msandover

Post by msandover » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:33 pm

To the few of us who're into this: no one ever came back with a method for doing this, not users, not forum moderators so I guess it's just not possible. Wish they kept this feature from 3.1

chrisky

Post by chrisky » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:44 am

AIUI, the Roku Soundbridge clients will tend to use any media Server's Search facility to generate the browse hierarchy. When the Roku clients do this, they generate the nice letters on the right.

The Twonky server deliberately turns the Search function off for Roku clients. The advantage of this policy is that the server will force these clients to use the clever hierarchy of server containers. The disadvantages are that you lose the client-generated nice letters, that the search button doesn't work, and (of course) you can't perform searches.

In the Soundbridge software (at least for version 2.7, released March 2007 ), when the client-generated containers are used, at the bottom of the list of these containers (Album, Artist, etc.) there is a 'Server Containers' container, which gets you into the clever hierarchy on the Twonky server. So suppressing search on the Roku clients seems rather unnecessary - you can see the server containers if you want, just not by default.

In Twonky version 4.2 beta 3, there was an option for 'disable search for Roku clients'. You could clear this checkbox, (restart the twonky server) and voilà, you use the Soundbridge-generated hierarchy, and the letters appear. And the search would work, too.

Unfortunately, in version 4.2 RC2 of the server, it seems this facility for suppressing the Roku client behaviour has been removed. And even when you over-ride the Client detection, and pretend the client is a Generic DNLA client, you still have Search suppressed. This either suggests the Client detection over-ride is broken, or the search function is broken.

Cheers,

Chris

rendl

Post by rendl » Sun May 27, 2007 11:59 am

The search feature is really important. Since there's no comment on that so far I am afraid it's not broken but was removed for some reason on purpose.
Our little Roku user group is evaluating Twonky 4.3 in trial mode.
We were almost convinced to purchase licenses, but now we may have go back to Firefly. That's a pitty, because the search feature used to work even in Twonky 3 and we like the rest of Twonky much :cry:
NSLU2 Unslung
1x Roku M2000
1x Roku M1001
1x Roku M1000

msandover

Post by msandover » Mon May 28, 2007 7:50 pm

[quote="rendl"]The search feature is really important. Since there's no comment on that so far I am afraid it's not broken but was removed for some reason on purpose.
Our little Roku user group is evaluating Twonky 4.3 in trial mode.
We were almost convinced to purchase licenses, but now we may have go back to Firefly. That's a pitty, because the search feature used to work even in Twonky 3 and we like the rest of Twonky much :cry:[/quote]

I am now using firefly. The search letters are there and it does run a little faster than Twonky even though it looks almost exactly the same at the user interface level and doesn't seem to support internet radio "out of the box". I switched to Twonky 4.1 and see no real difference from 3.x except it is missing some features. Search being one of them.

Twonky is stable and does run on my Buffalo Linkstation. Haven't been successful in getting FLAC to work there. Nothing I've read/tried from the forums explains clearly and in a straightforward way how get the install working. Firefly and Slimserver both do FLAC files but I have to run them on my desktop where they installed easily. I do not have the patience anymore to slog through usergroups to get instructions on how to install Slimserver or Firefly onto the Linkstation. I listen to music; I don't get my kicks messing around with Linux installs.

Firefly it is on my PC and Twonky on the Linkstation.

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:35 pm

I propose to buy an Roku Soundbridge M1000 (in Germany labeled as "Pinnacle Soundbridge M1000") , too and I solely use my NSLU and current Twonky Vision 4.4 Beta 4...Now I use my D-Link DSM 320 und Terratec Noxon Audio1 and still have no Problems.

What I hate is the fact, that browsing (I' am using mostly "directory" option) is sooo slow with my Noxon and i can't (fast) jump to a letter. In my huge MP3 directory annoying ....

Question:

Wich TW Version is best and making browsing comfortable too....

Cheers, Mikle
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

msandover

Twonky Search Feature

Post by msandover » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Sorry, I cannot help you as to your poor performance issues. I have started using Firefly which does support search. I only use Twonky now when I don't want to turn on my desktop. I cannot play FLAC files on Twonky; Firefly does. The Twonky quickbrowse letters disappeared in the recent versions and Firefly supports them nicely.

The only thing Twonky seems to do - and to be fair it does it well and in a stable manner - is to play ripped CDs in MP3 format. It has been a reliable stable program on my LSII but it does not have much in the way of functionality beyond just playing the music. Which is what it's supposed to do.

There are many features that I could wish for in using it as the media server to my Soundbridge but I don't have any sense that Twonky crew is willing to put out a comprehensive and truly professional product. I use Firefly and Slimserver (it's slow) mostly.

chrisky

Post by chrisky » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:44 am

Having just downloaded version 4.4 of TwonkyMedia, it seems the Search functionality is back for Roku clients! This is good news. My Roku clients now all behave correctly, search on these devices works beautifully, and I have the nice letters once again as I scroll through my Artists lists.

I also notice that the option to suppress search for Roku has gone, which I believe is a good thing.

Thank you for sorting this out.

Cheers,

Chris.

msandover

Yes, Quicksearch is Back

Post by msandover » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:16 pm

Thank you chrisky for the hint about 4.4. It does now have the Quicksearch letters back. Nice!