Noxon 1 and lack of WPA encryption. (annoyed at Terratec)

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Noxon 1 and lack of WPA encryption. (annoyed at Terratec)

Post by mgillespie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I bought 2x Noxon 1 devices last year, to replace my faulty Netgear MP101's, which Netgear could never seem to get to work in any kind of stable fashion.

Whilst I am impressed with the reliability of my Noxon (despite having to send one dead unit away), I am annoyed by Noxon dropping support for them.

The Noxon 1 only supports WEP encryption, and it means my entire wireless network is compromised by not being able to switch to WPA.

I emailed Terratec, and the reply I got was to use a wired connection!! There was no way of having WPA, despite it being trivial to sniff WEP keys in a matter of minutes these days :-( There was no trade-in and pay to upgrade to Noxon 2 schemes either :-(

No overly impressed with Terratec's support of Noxon 1 :-(
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Noxon 1 and lack of WPA encryption. (annoyed at Terratec)

Post by mgillespie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Well I decided to replace my 2x Noxon1 units with Noxon2, as and when units appear on ebay.

Anyone interested in buying cheap Noxon1 units? They work very well with TwonkyMedia, the only real limitation for me, is the lack of WPA encryption. Other than that, very reliable audio streaming clients.

PM me if interested.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.