HP Media Vault, XBOX 360, and Twonky

Discuss Twonky and XBOX here
tstyln
HP Media Vault, XBOX 360, and Twonky

Post by tstyln » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:29 am

Well here is my problem, I have my 360 conected to my network along with my HP Media Vault, however currently the 360 can't see the Vault so I can't access anything thats on the Vault. I have the MV2010 and the Xbox 360 elite. Can anyone help, will twonky somehow solve this issue?

I was told it can but am not sure, any help is huge

Thanks 8)

monkeyhands

Re: HP Media Vault, XBOX 360, and Twonky

Post by monkeyhands » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi there,

I don't know much about the media vault, but my understanding of the 360 is that it will only connect to a media server it thinks is running windows based software, eg a laptop with windows media connect installed.

My limited understanding of Twonky is that it tricks the 360 into thinking it is windows based using the same protocols (or whatever).

I'm using a hacked linkstation with Twonky running and it works a treat, streaming both compatible movies and MP3s no problem. If your media vault is a NAS server, and you can get twonky installed, it should work fine.
Reality (n), Something that happens when you are not playing video games.

Captain
AV Hardware:HP Media Vault, HP Pavillion Media Centre PC

Post by Captain » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi,

I also have an HP Media Vault, and have successfully installed Twonky.

There's a really useful article on installing Twonky on the Media Vault here:-

http://www.k0lee.com/hpmediavault/twonky/index.html

If you do manage to get your XBox talking to Twonky on your Media Vault, I'd be really interested to know whether it will successfully play lossless WMA files, as I've been looking for a client that will offer lossless WMA support for quite some time. I recently tried the Pinnacle ShowCenter 250HD which the manufacturer claims supports lossless WMA files (but it doesn't :evil:) I'm thinking that the XBox may be the way forward.

rbuttigl
AV Hardware:HP Media Vault 2120, xbox 360

Post by rbuttigl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 pm

I have the 500gb MV2120 (second generation hp media vault that has a build in Twonky server). For first few months I was able to stream videos from MV (running twonky/firefly) to xbox 360 but now cannot. About 2 weeks ago the xbox stopped displaying the files, although it does auto discover the MV on the network. When I go to Video Library > Mediavault I get an error "cannot connect to the computer". Same error for viewing photos via Photo Library > Mediavault. I am not using Media Center and don't need a pc running on my lan to make this work.

Both xbox and mv are connected WIRED to the same network switch which is wired to the linksys. My pc and Mac are wireless clients.

HP tech support blames microsoft. Microsoft blames HP. And they both like to blame Linksys despite every other network connection working:

- The MV is able to stream videos to a wireless pc and wireless Mac
- The xbox is able to connect and stream videos from the pc (doesn't see the Mac)
- The xbox is able to connect and stream MUSIC from the MV (although in a flat list of song titles instead of navigating the folder structure like before)

It worked for a while but now doesn't. Only changes I can think of were addition of an iMac to the network (initially had problems connecting to MV but xbox was still connecting and streaming fine). Then I started loading up the MV with all my digital photos... so I'm not sure if the large iPhoto database is corrupting the folder structure enough that xbox can't connect.

I've added port forwarding for a range of ports from MS tech support but no help.

Anyone here think it is related to Twonky? Is there a way to upgrade the OEM Twonky server on the hp media vault?

Thanks!
Rich

ronto
AV Hardware:HP MediaVault 2021 v1.3.5.9
Xbox 360

Post by ronto » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:33 pm

I have a similar configuration, and some times what you describe happens to me too, what I normally do is stop twonky server and restart it, the I do a DB rescan and everything works normally.