XBOX 360 transcode MPEG (VOB) to WMV

Discuss Twonky and XBOX here
Mr.C
AV Hardware:Linux fedora servers, xbox360
XBOX 360 transcode MPEG (VOB) to WMV

Post by Mr.C » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi.
can anyone give me guidance on how to setup transcoding from MPEG (ripped DVD VOBS) to WMV so i can store all media as MPEG and play on xbox.

I have setup twonky server on Fedora core 10, installed and tested ffmpeg (converted using command line a mpeg to wmv), but i cannot get the xbox to list the media and not sure how to make it transcode live

many thanks..

calvin

dboling
AV Hardware:Not sure what I'm supposed to list here.
Server is my gateway/firewall/storage/web/mail and anything else server. It is running CentOS 5.? on a dell gx270. Primary drives are 2 250gig configured into raid 1 and 1 1TB seagate usb drive split between ext3 and winXP filesystems. 1 onboard ethernet and 4 internal etherrnet cards. 1 gig ram, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz processor.
-------
The running network consists of 1 baystack 450T vlan into 30 sections.
port 1-3 direct to internet, port 3-6 connect to 2 dlink ABG wireless access points, port 7-24 connects the local lan.
-------
Clients can consist of just about anything, ie any flavor of windows, linux, apple, mac, sparc, ect....
-------
I used to own/operate a full service ISP totally by myself until 911 which should give you an Idea as to how complex my home network is.
-----

Re: XBOX 360 transcode MPEG (VOB) to WMV

Post by dboling » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, I use CentOS 5. Anyway I stay away from Windows media format. all my videos are in divx and mp4 format with the .avi extention. divx arthor can convert most formats to divx in a couple of hours, just remember to change the extention to .avi when finished.

Mr.C
AV Hardware:Linux fedora servers, xbox360

Re: XBOX 360 transcode MPEG (VOB) to WMV

Post by Mr.C » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:29 pm

thanks.. i did some more codec tests (I have various equimpent to stream to so want one format).. and found xvid to be best in the end size, quality, supported, and easy to rip on my linux desktop (31 movies so far 8) ) that way i can avoid transcodeing and all the nightmares with it..

many thanks :D

calvin