Newest 5.1.2 doesn't work for streaming to XBox 360

Discuss Twonky and XBOX here
pdiddy
AV Hardware:XBox 360 and PS3
Newest 5.1.2 doesn't work for streaming to XBox 360

Post by pdiddy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:12 pm

I was having problems after upgrading from a prior version to 5.1.2; the problem was the XBox 360 was treating every video I tried to select as containing codecs it couldn't handle. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling; lots of stuff. Figured it couldn't be the latest Twonky. Even went so far as to build a fresh XP SP3 machine. all patched up with DIVX, XVID and AC3 codecs installed; still no soap - same errors. So I uninstalled the newest Twonky and installed version 4.4.18 back on and everything works as before.

So it turns out the newest version is NOT working correctly for at least XBOx 360 streaming (and that's confirmed on two different machines; one that's been running Twonky for quite a while and the other a fresh OS build).

Anyone else seeing this or know why it's occurring (other than a developer mistake)?

Garry
AV Hardware:WL-HDD 2.5 and XBOX 360

Re: Newest 5.1.2 doesn't work for streaming to XBox 360

Post by Garry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:25 pm

Windows shouldn't affect the ability of the Xbox 360 to play files. Have you installed any recent updates on the Xbox via Xbox Live? This would usually reset the Xbox's ability to play Divx files. To play these files, you have to try to play the file while connected to Xbox Live, so that Xbox can get the required media update from Microsoft. (This is required separately from Xbox Live updates, but required after each update - it's to do with the licensing of the Divx codec)

falkyre
AV Hardware:Denon AVR789 receiver, Samsung 50" Plasma, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, XBMC

Post by falkyre » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 am

This is an issue with TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.2 and has been seen by quite a few others in the forum. Open a ticket with support and let them know. Rolling back to 5.1.1 will allow you to stream to Xbox360. I stayed at 5.1.2 and just use my PS3 instead for viewing streamed videos.

steinikallinn
AV Hardware:TwonkyMediaManager 1.3.0.101
TwonkyMediaServer 5.1.2
Xbox 360 client

Post by steinikallinn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 am

I have the exact same problem! I just upgraded from TwonkyMediaManager v.1.1 up to 1.3 and just before the update I was watching something. Then after the update, only Pictures and Music worked, the Video streaming came with "Unsupported video format" warning.

I have un-modded Xbox 360, a Xbox LIVE account and I am always connected to Xbox LIVE, and I have been prompted the "You have to download and install a free media upgrade for you Xbox to play this content" long before and have installed it.

There is something going on here - it works if I install the previous versions but not with the new ones!

---
TwonkyMediaManager 1.3.0.101
TwonkyMediaServer 5.1.2
Xbox360 [1 year old, un-modded and up-to-date]
Windows Vista Home Premium

davemex
AV Hardware:Xbox 360

Post by davemex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

I want to jump on the bandwagon here and say that 5.1.2 did not work with my 360 either. I am running Ubuntu Server 64 bit 9.10 streaming via powerline networking to my 360. I was using 5.0.6 with no problems. I removed Twonky and did a fresh install to 5.1.2, set up all the transcoding associations to the correct directories, rebuilt the database, and the 360 would still not stream my movies. It could see them correctly but gave me codec errors when trying to play the files. I have since gone back to 5.0 to wait for this to be resolved.

falkyre

Post by falkyre » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Again, I can't stress this enough on this issue. If you are having the same problem, open a ticket with support. The more people that tell support that there's a problem, the more likely it'll be looked at.

I've opened a ticket and they asked if it was still happening but haven't heard anything else from them.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Don't be so fast to blame the server. The Xbox is a poor media client, it's not DLNA compliant, nor is it UPnP either, it needs serverside workarounds to get it working.

The only real way to fix it, is vote with your wallets, support standards, DLNA for example.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

falkyre

Post by falkyre » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 am

mgillespie wrote:Don't be so fast to blame the server. The Xbox is a poor media client, it's not DLNA compliant, nor is it UPnP either, it needs serverside workarounds to get it working.

The only real way to fix it, is vote with your wallets, support standards, DLNA for example.
The whole point in this thread (and others) is that if you run 5.1.1 of the server, streaming to XBox works fine. Upgrade to 5.1.2, it stops. Yes, I understand that the Xbox is a poor media client, it is after all a Microsoft product and they do tend to make their own standards. However, that being said, I have not changed anything in my Xbox that would stop it from working with Twonky. TwonkyMedia Server was changed and something broke from one minor version to the next.

It's not a big deal to me, I just stream to my PS3, it works fine. But for those that don't have multiple systems and have purchased Twonky to stream to the XBox (as the Twonky site states it can) and they find they can't, the best place to raise this is with support. These forums are great but having a support ticket will likely get it to the developers faster.