(AVI) Xvid and Mp4

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
Andytaylor123
(AVI) Xvid and Mp4

Post by Andytaylor123 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Im not sure what the issue is and was wondering if any one else has run into simular problems....

Basically if i copy my Xvid and mp4 files to a memory card the PS3 will play them off that as well as if i copy it to the PS3 itself...

Twonky media will show these files on the PS3 but they are showing as unsupported.... and therefore wont play.... ???

Any ideas... ????

I dont mind copying them, but defeats the object of using Twonkymedia....

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Make sure you are running the latest beta (4.4RC1), see Beta forum. This fixed all the issues for me. If you still have problems, try selecting them, wait for the error, and reselect them. Sometimes it fails to pick it up on the first go. Mine used to do this occasionally, due to the HDD spinning down...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

eggbox

Post by eggbox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I have seen many posts from people using the latest Twonky version who are still experiencing problems. However I have found a solution (at least in my case) to this issue:

Under the Clients/Security section of TwonkyMedia configuration, my PS3's IP address was detected as a 'Windows Media Player', on my friends it was detected as 'Generic Media Reciever'. For the DivX / XviD to work, I had to manually define the IP's as 'PS3', After doing this and restarting both my PS3 & Twonky, all worked!

Hope this helps!

Justin
"Be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one."

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:21 am

Twonky only supported the PS3 as of v 4.4.2, but this doesn't support DivX/XVid due to Sony 'creating' a new MIME type. You can however get around this problem by renaming all the file extensions 'mpg' and voila they will then play on the PS3.

If you have v4.4.3 or later then you do not have to rename the files as Twonky have added the MIME type Sony 'created' for playing DivX/XVid!

If you have a version earlier than 4.4.2 then it will not play DivX/XVid or MP4 video files as well as WMA audio files.

Andytaylor123

Post by Andytaylor123 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Cheers for quick response guys...

I have changed Twonky settings so that it is set to PS3 and hey presto.... All working fine!!!!

No more converting!!!!! thank god!!! lol

thanks again

djroj2001

Lacie Ethernet Mini

Post by djroj2001 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Very interesting thread. I have a Lacie Ethernet Mini 500gb and it currently is running Twonky 4.3.

I am unable to stream DivX/XVID at the moment, with the Ps3 showing them as being unsupported data.

From reading this thread I have ascertained that it may be possible to play these types of files with the following modifications:

Install Twonky 4.4.2 (this is the latest version of Twonky that Lacie have released for my Nas drive).

After installing the new version, change the detected device manually to "PS3" in the Twonky configuration.

After doing this, change the DivX/Xvid extensions to .mpg.

- Please can you tell me if I have understood this correctly, and whether it will work.

Many Thanks.

Caoimhghin

Re: Lacie Ethernet Mini

Post by Caoimhghin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:13 pm

djroj2001,

That will work, it's what I did!

I did find that Twonky will automatically pick up the PS3 if you have "Enable sharing for new clients automatically:" selected

Don't forget the PS3 does not support 'all flavours' of DivX/XVId files.

djroj2001

Post by djroj2001 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am

Tried it last night, worked a treat!! Around 85% of my video files are working thanks to this method. I used a file name batch editor to rename all the extensions, so only took a couple of minutes.

Cheers

alienandy

Post by alienandy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Well I have been at this for over 48hrs now and I am literally banging my head up the wall! I have tried everything, even used TVersity before I purchased Twonky, and I still can't play half my avi files!
I've been reading through this thread with interest, noting that some people have had success by various methods. But I have to admit defeat, and I am certainly NOT prepared to convert every avi file I have just so that the PS3 can play them!
I'm glad that some of you have had some successes with this, but I think I'll wait until Sony sort themselves out with maybe another firmware update.

In the meantime, has anyone actually figured out why one file will play and another one won't? I actually did something daft which 'may' give us some clues. I installed and ran 'Any Video Converter Pro' last night and converted an avi to avi. I know, sounds stupid. But the converted file worked on the PS3!! Like I said, I'm not going to do this on all my files as it would take me years. But maybe there is something silly that stops them working?

Any ideas?

catman2

Post by catman2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:52 pm

i think the PS3 like the Divx 6.0 encoding and not the 5.0 encoding. i found my old .avi files did not work but that my newly created files did.

possibly by 'converting' them .avi to avi, you are changing the flags to divx 6.

try new .avi files.

wish ps3 could sit down with vlc and have a compatibility lesson!

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:48 am

djroj2001 wrote: After installing the new version, change the detected device manually to "PS3" in the Twonky configuration.

After doing this, change the DivX/Xvid extensions to .mpg.

- Please can you tell me if I have understood this correctly, and whether it will work.

Many Thanks.
just a confirmatio, my DIVX files are currently named with extension as AVI, I shuoljd just change to MPG?

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:36 pm

zenkinz wrote:just a confirmatio, my DIVX files are currently named with extension as AVI, I shuoljd just change to MPG?
Depends on which version of TwonkyVision installed, if you have v4.4.2 then changing the file extension of DivX files to 'mpg' will allow most to be played via the PS3. If you have v4.4.3 or higher then there should be no need to alter the file extension.

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Caoimhghin wrote:
zenkinz wrote:just a confirmatio, my DIVX files are currently named with extension as AVI, I shuoljd just change to MPG?
Depends on which version of TwonkyVision installed, if you have v4.4.2 then changing the file extension of DivX files to 'mpg' will allow most to be played via the PS3. If you have v4.4.3 or higher then there should be no need to alter the file extension.
I have 4.4.3.1 but it doesnt recognise the AVI file (it shows as unsupported data) until I change it to MPG. It works fine but it screws up the properties of the video file, as the length of the video is reported as 596mins or something (For all the videos)

also, I noticed that when I upgraded to 4.4.4 RC2, the video playback is very jerky including the DVD file that I have ripped into the media server. Now i'm back to 4.4.3.1 but it has other problem (no album clipart, etc)

Mako

Re: (AVI) Xvid and Mp4

Post by Mako » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi guys,

Today I received patch 4.4.4 of Twonky for the Lacie. Finally my divx streams to the PS3! :-)
Contact support through the system on their website to get a copy.

Cheers,

Mako