Unwanted top-level menus

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
eggbox
Unwanted top-level menus

Post by eggbox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got a funny issue with my folder structure. On all my other devices (e.g. XBOX 360) when I select Music, Video or Photos from their own system menus I am then connected to my Twonky and can view things like Albums and Artists etc depending on the media type.

However, on my PS3 if I choose Video, Music or Photo from the system menu I have to navigate through an extra layer of folders once connected to Twonky, called Music, Photos & Videos. It's probably easier to explain like this:

Music on XBOX360 & others:
Music > Source: Twonky > Files & Folders

Music on PS3:
Music > Source: Twonky > Music > Files & Folders

No matter which media type i select from my main PS3 system menu, there are folders for all 3 types in each menu once connected to Twonky.

Is there a way around this? It's really annoying!

Thanks,
Justin
"Be nice to nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one."

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:16 am

No, there is no way around it. Ask this question of Sony, it's how they 'do things'!

Trendy44

Post by Trendy44 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Caoimhghin wrote:No, there is no way around it. Ask this question of Sony, it's how they 'do things'!
Not sure I agree with that.
TVersity has a checkbox that allows you to select simple files/folders. On the PS3 when you click on the TVersity icon it takes you direct to the files/folders without all those folders we see with Twonky. It would be nice if Twonky had a similar feature.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Trendy44 wrote:TVersity has a checkbox that allows you to select simple files/folders. On the PS3 when you click on the TVersity icon it takes you direct to the files/folders without all those folders we see with Twonky. It would be nice if Twonky had a similar feature.
Twonky does have a similar facility in their admin pages, you can select from a simple, advanced or itunes like folder structure. It still makes no difference though as the PS3 will still show these '3 main media folders' irrespective of which category you select.

I've used the same NAS drive with Twonky installed with other UPnP/DLNA media clients and it doesn't display these superfluous folders when you select the appropriate category.

Qveitar
AV Hardware:Server(Twonky Media): AMD Phenom 9600 2.3GHz, 4gb RAM, 1TB HDD.
Client: PS3

Re: Unwanted top-level menus

Post by Qveitar » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 am

I would realy like to see a option to make the extra rootmenu show. Realy annoying.

sandhu
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia Server

Post by sandhu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:19 am

As the PS3 does not give any hints to the server about the selected main navigation tree (music,picture,video), Twonkymedia
has no other chance than giving back the full navigation tree on each of these.
Last edited by sandhu on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:23 am

The ps3 must be giving hints otherwise other DLNA servers wouldn't be able to autoselect the right folders to display under a given category, WHICH THEY DO JUST FINE.
It's just bad design from Twonky which has been going on FOREVER. It's quite sad really.

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:50 am

Showing Photos/Videos/Music folders under each of the three XBAR options of Photos/Videos/Music is a problem I never had on my DSM-320, but it is quite annoying.

Is there a possibility that this could get fixed by Twonky in the 4.x server line, or is development done on that? I'd rather not have to pay $20 for a problem that (if TheShadowRunner is correct) is essentially a bugfix.