PS3 Media Library Refresh?

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
froobra
PS3 Media Library Refresh?

Post by froobra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm very pleased with the option that Twonky has given me for serving media around my house so I purchased a license :)

I'm planning to use it primarily on a PS3 but will occasionally make use of it on our Xbox360 too.

One problem I cant seem to find a fix for is with refreshing the media library on the PS3. There are no such problems on the 360 but when PS3 simply doesnt reflect any media changes at all (like file deletions, additions etc). It seems to cache the original scan locally somewhere and no matter what I try, rebooting the PS3, searching for new media servers, the library still wont refresh.

Has anyone found a way around this??!

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Check your settings in the TwonkyMedia Configuration page. Under Basic Setup/Sharing they'll be a 'Rescan in minutes: ' box, I have mine set to '-1' which enables the content directories to be watched for any media changes without the need to rescan.

froobra

Post by froobra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 pm

The rescan option (also set to -1) on my NAS (Terastation Pro) is fine as the Xbox360 picks up any file/folder changes perfectly.

The PS3 however doesnt...... :(

grumqyguy
AV Hardware:PS3, Maxtor MSS2 1TB

Post by grumqyguy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:37 am

I find this on my maxtor mss2. Twonky is set at -1, so unless you do a new search for media servers on ps3, or reboot the nas, it keeps all the old content, not any new

Must be a ps3 issue, again!!

froobra

Post by froobra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:52 am

I think I figured out what is happening.... and its sort of my fault.....

In one of my folders I had some files that were all encoded in WMV9. There was one file that was encoded in WMV8. After much fooling around last night I finally figured out that the PS3 doesnt like WMV8 encoded files and displays them as 'unsupported data'. So even though I renamed the WMV8 file, expecting the file listing on the PS3 to be refreshed, the PS3 just ignores the filename and only displays it if can encode it, hence it looking like it doesnt refresh the media library.

You live and learn.... I cant be bothered to re-encode the files to WMV9 (it takes too long!) so I'll stick with using the Xbox360 for now as she likes playing with WMV8 files :)

grumqyguy
AV Hardware:PS3, Maxtor MSS2 1TB

Post by grumqyguy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 pm

Just found out that if I add for instance /share/Public/our movies to the content list manually, it doesn't scan the changes, even set at -1, whereas if I browse and get /share/Public/Our Movies (note that capital letters in Our Movies), it works fine