Qnap, Twonky4.4.4 and PS3 Fast Forward question

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
hyakugei
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-109, PS3
Qnap, Twonky4.4.4 and PS3 Fast Forward question

Post by hyakugei » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 am

Hello all.

My current setup is a Qnap TS-109 NAS box running Twonky 4.4.4 to a PS3 with the latest firmware update.

I am almost completely happy with how things are working. DivX, vob and mpeg streaming are great.

The only 'hitch' i have is that fast-forward doesn't seem to work with large files. 1.5x is ok, but 10 or greater has some strange behaviour. I can start the fast forward, and get the occasional static frame update, but when i stop fast forwarding, there is a long pause, longer the farther forward i've gone, before playback starts again. It seems like its not actually streaming, but trying to download all the in between content, rather then just start playing from the new position.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
jos

ps. one other tiny nit is - should the server remember where i was last in a video? Because it doesn't, and this is a 'nice to have' feature...

Thanks again,
j

furfoot

Re: Qnap, Twonky4.4.4 and PS3 Fast Forward question

Post by furfoot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:48 pm

The older way of converting mkv's to vobs didnt support fast forwarding. The new applications such as the latest version of mkv2vob do support it. Google mkv2vob and use that to convert your mkv files.

hyakugei
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-109, PS3

Re: Qnap, Twonky4.4.4 and PS3 Fast Forward question

Post by hyakugei » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Cool, i didn't know that.

However, for DVDs which i've ripped with DVDShrink, the vob's don't seem to fast-forward properly. That is the problem i'm out-lining above. I'll try converting some mkv's using the latest version of mkv2vob and see how they work too.

Thanks!
jos