How user-friendly & stable is the PS3 interface?

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
gdaymate
AV Hardware:None
How user-friendly & stable is the PS3 interface?

Post by gdaymate » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:47 pm

I was going to hook up an Apple TV to a nAS, but it's all too difficult to find one that supports video (most only support audio), and I don't want to have to go to the complexity of a server just to get a full implementation of iTunes. So I'm now looking at my second choice of a Netgear EVA8000 or a PS3. This is for a holiday cottage, so I need a very user-friendly and stable system. Do either of these choices fall into this category (I've never used TwonkyVision)?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: How user-friendly & stable is the PS3 interface?

Post by mgillespie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:41 pm

PS3 works very well as a media streaming client, and offers much more value for money than other devices due the weatlh of media features it offers in one box (upscaling DVD, Blu-ray, gaming, web browser, digital camera slideshow viewer).

If MP4 streaming is important, avoid installing the latest 2.2 update, as it's got problems.

Otherwise highly recommended, easy to use and very stable.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

mattdaj
AV Hardware:Dlink 520
PS3
Xbox 360
RedHat Linux 5

Post by mattdaj » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 pm

I agree the PS3 is very good and stable. I have a X360, Dlink 520 and more recently a PS3. I find the PS3 a wonder of technical advancement. Personally, I find the interface better than the other two. I have the MP4 WMV shuttering issue, but that will be fixed soon. A work around is to copy the WMV or MP4 locally until then. The added BlueRay and wireless built-in is a plus. I'm very happy with the it. Of the 3 media players I have, the D-link 520 has been the most stable when it comes to playing my videos, but needs help on the interface. I'm not a gamer, so the Xbox360 is used by my kids. I've become a PS3 fan. Also, moving away from M$ makes me happy.
:lol:

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:26 pm

exactly, as much as people are making this out to be a major issue, it's a minor annoyance. All you do is highlight the movie, press Triangle button and select copy, it copies from from the server to the PS3's HDD, and then the movie plays fine, without any stuttering issues. I copied a 90 minute movie in a couple of minutes. You can then delete it afterwards. That's a minor hassle to me, not a big problem, and one that Sony will surely address as soon as they can (Firmware 2.3 is due mid-April, and a fix would be nice....)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.