PS3 File Naming

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
nathanhughes
AV Hardware:PS3, XBOX360
Lacie EDMini
PS3 File Naming

Post by nathanhughes » Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi =- Im running twonky 4.4.4 on a Lacie EDMini disk - streaming to a PS3.

I have an odd issue that the PS3 adds a * to every filename - even supportable ones, which play, video music and photos.
Media (same files) copied onto the PS3 locally dont have this issue - soi`m wondering if anyone else has seen this on the PS3 ?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: PS3 File Naming

Post by mgillespie » Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Well according to the PS3 manual http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... tdlna.html
File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases, these files cannot be played on the PS3â„¢ system. Also, even if the files can be played on the PS3â„¢ system, it might not be possible to play the files on other devices.
I have noticed this for a while, and whilst it does not cause any obvious issues, other media servers DON'T do it, so it would be niced to get it addressed if possible...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

nathanhughes
AV Hardware:PS3, XBOX360
Lacie EDMini

Post by nathanhughes » Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Have raised a bug report via the support email address at twonky. Not sure if they keep note of bugs reported here, so thought worth emailing in...

You're right - its not a major issue, but it'll be nice if (hopefully) its something easy to fix - and it'll add to the overall quality feel of the solution... saying that there are other annoyances with my setup - which I suspect are on the PS3 side.. (eg. caching of thumbnails quicker.. and...

also video thumbnails and even folder thumbnails
(why is it that video thumbnails seem to work via wmp11 on a remove serber/pc but not Twonky !?) - now that would be a nice fix !!!

N.

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:27 am

Nice catch on this one, Mark.

This remains a problem under Twonky 4.4.9.

I thought that Twonky was supposed to be DLNA compliant!