Playing downloaded VOB files

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
hcb0172
AV Hardware:HP Mediasmart Server, PS3
Playing downloaded VOB files

Post by hcb0172 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:05 pm

I have WHS running on an HP MediaSmart. I've recently installed the HP update, and Power Pack 1. On my PS3 I have no issues seeing the server, or anything else on there.
PVConnect sees the server and I see all my folders.
I download a bunch of concerts from thetradersden, and would like to watch them on the tv, through the PS3.

2 issues I'm having:
1) The menus don't work. They come up, but nothing works as a DVD should
2) I can play individual VOB files, but they don't stream one into the other as a dvd should

Ripping these together into a single mpg would work, but I'd rather not do that, as it's just against the whole idea of this working as it should.. plus you don't augment traded shows, as courtesy and policy.

Am I doing something wrong, or are these files not playable in order?
My only other option is burning them to dvd as-is and watching on my Oppo 983H, but I would much rather just stream them...
Any help is appreciated.
thanks

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Playing downloaded VOB files

Post by mgillespie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:06 pm

in short no. VOB files are complex structures of menus and streams. There is no method to navigate, select language or any of the other things VOBs support. The best thing to do, is open the main IFO in DVD decrypter, and extract the main feature as a single VOB, after disabling file spliting. You will then end up with just the main feature. You then need to hope the main language track is the one you want...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.