Ok, some queries......

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
Jimothy
AV Hardware:So far: Slackware Linux server, with a PS3 to stream to a Phillips LCD
Simple really (or so I hope)
Ok, some queries......

Post by Jimothy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi,
I am pretty new to all this, and what I am after I hope is fairly simple.

I have a Slackware Linux box, which I am intending on using as a central server in my house. I have been told that twonky is THE thing to use to stream media to a PS3 so I can watch films and browse the media directories of my server.

That much I think I have got sorted. Where I get hazy is with actually getting the media from my DVDs down to a useable format that twonky, then ultimately the PS3 can playback. I have downloaded a trial of DVDfab, which quite happily (and quickly, which is also important) allows me to copy down the actual feature of the DVD (ie, just the film, no menus or extras which I dont want anyway) as a series of .VOB files. Can twonky and the PS3 play this back? Can I browse whats there? As it sits, I am building a directory structure up which has the vobs in a folder named after the film, then those folders sit in categorised folders. I.E:

Will this work with twonky and the PS3?

Hope someone can help, and save me pointlessly carrying on if it isnt going to work!!

Thanks in advance

J

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Ok, some queries......

Post by mgillespie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:49 pm

Jimothy wrote:Hi,

Will this work with twonky and the PS3?

Hope someone can help, and save me pointlessly carrying on if it isnt going to work!!

Thanks in advance

J
It will work just fine, make sure you rip/decrypt the main movie to a single VOB (I use DVD Decrypter), and twonky will stream it as MPEG2 just fine.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

ibex
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-109 Pro 1Tb (2.1.0 Build 0624T)
Sony PS3 (FM 2.50)

Post by ibex » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:03 am

As an absolute newbie to this can anyone recommend a tool to take my already ripped DVD's and merge them into a single VOB?

Most of my DVD's have been ripped with DVDShrink and I don't really want to have to rip them all again if I can avoid this.

staun
AV Hardware:Playstation 3, Twonky Media 4.4.9 on powerful Debian server.

Post by staun » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 am

DVD Decrypter will do that for you just fine.

ibex
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-109 Pro 1Tb (2.1.0 Build 0624T)
Sony PS3 (FM 2.50)

Post by ibex » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks staun

I've successfully ripped a DVD to a single vob now with DVD decrypter - that worked nicely. :D Did you also mean that DVD decrypter could also merge the rips I've already done into a single vob? I can't figure out how to do that.

staun
AV Hardware:Playstation 3, Twonky Media 4.4.9 on powerful Debian server.

Post by staun » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

You may be right it can only do it from a DVD.. perhaps you can use a utility to make Windows create a "virtual dvd" for you, and then just copy the files in there, and make DVD Decrypter use the virtual drive.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Too ... D-DVD-Rom/

Second thought, they may also be a chance you can use DVD Shrink in something called re-author mode as well. That may be able to collapse the VOBs into a single VOB as well.