PSP,
Wii,
Slingbox Pro,
Windows home server,
Netgear 8000 DEC
Belkin Vision ADSL Router
PS3 Streaming Issue since 2.4x update/More testing

Post by Bugsy1957 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:14 pm

I know this has been discussed in other topics in this forum but I have just formally spoken to Sony whose help centre recommended the following course of action

1) Restore the PS3 (which results in the loss of any content on the hard disk). This didn't work.
2) Replace the PS3 as they believe the hardware may be faulty.

The guys I spoke to advised me that no one else had reported this problem which suprised me. I did respectfully suggest that this was a software problem and that replacing the unit wouldnt actually resolve the issue unless they could guarantee that the replacement unit had pre 2.4x firmware.

I did also suggest that they did a google on "PS3 2.41 streaming" if they want to see how common this problem is.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

My main reason for streaming video is to hold my HD home movies on a central server.

The HD footage comes coutesy of Sony HD SR8E camcorder. As owners of this (or any other similar Sony device) will know these movie clips are recorded to hard disk. In the case of the Sony these are individual MTS files. My work flow pre FW2.4x was to import these into Adobe Premier CS3, combine them and then export them into a single file which was then stored on disk as an M2TS file. These output files would play correctly every time using FW2.36

If I copy the MTS (not M2TS) files directly from the camera on to my Windows Home Server running Twonky MOST of them will play correctly on the PS3 via Twonky. it is the MOST bit that puzzles me as the clips which dont play dont appear to be of a particular kind such as large or small.

I really am at a loss to understand why some of them dont work - unless there is a bandwidth limitation in twonky or the PS3. I dont think the home network is not the problem as the WHS and PS3 are on a Gogabut network. I notice others have had this problem.

I intend to do even more testing and will post back any more results I can add

homeservershow
AV Hardware:PS3, WHS

Re: PS3 Streaming Issue since 2.4x update/More testing

Post by homeservershow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I just verified your findings with the Canon HG10. I thought I might be in luck but sounds like i may need to test more. I only did two movies. Same deal, manually copy the MTS file off and it played just fine. See this thread for the post: PS3 streaming m2ts unsupported error - possible fix

Dave
homeservershow.com