PacketVideo's official position on the ps3 streaming issue

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
cricri
AV Hardware:ps3, whs
PacketVideo's official position on the ps3 streaming issue

Post by cricri » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:54 am

I read a lot on this issue today and the renaming thing in the client.db file didn't work for me so far so where are we heading with this issue? If it's as simple as renaming a string I would think that packetvideo would have fixed it by now so there's more to it than that. Can we have a clear statement from packetvideo that would say 1) yes we recognize the problem, you can't stream mts files anymore on the ps3 and 2) yes we're going to fix it and 3) it will be fixed by x date.

In the meantime I would advise anyone planning on buying a windows home server setup and wishing to link to a ps3 to reconsider and wait until this issue is fixed. Essentially packetvideo's software installation on the home server (in my case an HP EX470) is totally useless and broken and you won't be able to stream your videos from the whs to the ps3.

-c

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: PacketVideo's official position on the ps3 streaming issue

Post by mgillespie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:04 am

In the meantime I would advise anyone planning on buying a windows home server setup and wishing to link to a ps3 to reconsider and wait until this issue is fixed.
Errm, I think that's a little over reaction there. Clearly only MTS is not working (and then from user reports, only some MTS files). It's also a problem brought about by Sony's 2.4 firmware changes (hardly PacketVideo's fault).

Whilst it would be sensible to wait IF you streamed MTS files, the vast majority of people will have no troubles at all, MTS streaming is a niche feature IMHO, and is a problem for a vocal few here it seems.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Bugsy1957
AV Hardware:Yamaha RXV2700
PS3,Xbox 360 Elite,
PSP,
Wii,
Slingbox Pro,
Windows home server,
Netgear 8000 DEC
Belkin Vision ADSL Router

Post by Bugsy1957 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:23 pm

Whilst it would be sensible to wait IF you streamed MTS files, the vast majority of people will have no troubles at all, MTS streaming is a niche feature IMHO, and is a problem for a vocal few here it seems.
I'll put my hands up as being one of the "vocal few" here but I'm not sure (in my case anyway) its as simple as being a sony bug introduced since v.24x...let me explain why

In my case I am interested only in streaming HD movies taken on a Sony Camcorder and not streaming blu ray content. So my workflow is as follows

1) record footage on camcorder
2) transfer to PC using Sony software
3) Edit using Adobe Premier
4) Encode as one stream using Mainconcept pro encoder
5) transfer to Windows Home Server for streaming using twonky (I bought this before pvconnect was bundled with HP PP1

Now it is true to say that this worked perfectly prior to 2.4x but there is a possibility that what sony have done in this firmware tightens up the specs and somewhere in my workflow something is happening which makes the final output not match the true specs.

Having said that if I do copy the m2ts files to DVD and copy them onto the PS3 they do play perfectly.

I agree with your sentiment which seems to be "throwing ones toys out of the pram wont get it fixed" but for those of us who have invested alot of time and money in building a distributed home entertainment system it is frustrating when something that worked so well suddenly stops!!

Technane
AV Hardware:Windoze Server 2008 serving to PS3 all i need!

Post by Technane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Bugsy just out of interest
have u tried serving this content to the PS3 with Windows Media Player Network?
as i was havign better playback results on the - PS3 thani ahm Twonky - PS3

homeservershow
AV Hardware:PS3, WHS

Post by homeservershow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:34 pm

This thread may be of interest to you.
PS3 streaming m2ts unsupported error - possible fix

Read my post at the bottom. I don't know what I did but I pulled a MTS file off of my HG10 and it streams from WHS to PS3. Enough abbreviations for ya? :)

More tests to come.

Dave
homeservershow.com

cricri
AV Hardware:ps3, whs

Post by cricri » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:19 am

Well I'm being verbose about it but I find this whole issue really shows the lack of support from the pvconnect crew.

Remuxing the files is not a bad idea but when doing this you may break device compatibility. Meaning you may not be able to play them again on your camcorder or deck.

If twonky is working on a fix can we please be advised that's all I'm asking. For now... I'll copy the files on a local drive in the meantime.

We could analyze the files in some tool like elecard'd streameye but at this point it's starting to look like the network layer is patching the avc support and that flaky patch is broken with no hope for a come back.

Chris

dammad08
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by dammad08 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm

This is definitely Twonky/PVs issue.
Check out my investigation here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 307#p19773

While I understand that Twonky/PV don't support HD officially, it would be good to have somebody post on the forum the status of this since it used to work.

Dammad