PS3 streaming m2ts unsupported error - possible fix

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
jlally
AV Hardware:ubuntu 8.0.3 server. ps3 for playback
PS3 streaming m2ts unsupported error - possible fix

Post by jlally » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi,

I am using the twonky server with a trial key and hoping to use PS3 I just bought last week to stream some home video in AVCHD. I kept getting the "media unsupported" errors on some files whilst not on others. I searched these forums but found no answers.

I have used Ulead and Pinnacle Studio at various times and versions to make these AVCHD videos. I was wondering if the encoding or different AVCHD profiles had anything to do with this. I am no expert or even claim any knowledge but I do know that all AVCHD files are not the same. There are profiles and even encoding techniques which have to be decoded properly by the player.

After some searching I came across this. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809.

I used tsMuxeR to remux two of the files I had a problem with. I just chose input as m2ts file and output as m2ts and it remuxed the files. Remuxing as I understand it is to take the actual video and audio stream out of the wrapper and recreate another wrapper and put it in the new one. There is no recoding or anything.

I placed the new file in place of the old and then rebuilt the database (not sure if it was needed).

Bingo......... the file was recognised by PS3 and played flawlessly. .............. :D :D

It's worked on two files so far. On the third one I remuxed the file twice and it stuttered badly. I had to go back to the original and remux it just once. I'm not sure what was going on there. So if you try this, keep the originals just incase.

I hope it helps someone or gives clues to experts out there who can explain and maybe give a proper explanation

thanks

Jag

Bugsy1957
AV Hardware:Yamaha RXV2700
PS3,Xbox 360 Elite,
PSP,
Wii,
Slingbox Pro,
Windows home server,
Netgear 8000 DEC
Belkin Vision ADSL Router

Re: PS3 streaming m2ts unsupported error - possible fix

Post by Bugsy1957 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:06 am

THANK YOU!

I was looking for a consistent approach that would work everytime for me - and using tsremux fits the bill!

I have just been through and remuxed all my home movie clips and they all stream perfectly!

The kids moan will now change from "Why cant we watch the home holiday movies" to "when can we go back there??!!""

Still you cant have everything!

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Anyone else confirm this works?

If possible, also post what originally created the non-working M2TS files. Perhaps then, instead of complaining, you can be constuctive in helping getting this fixed....
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Bugsy1957
AV Hardware:Yamaha RXV2700
PS3,Xbox 360 Elite,
PSP,
Wii,
Slingbox Pro,
Windows home server,
Netgear 8000 DEC
Belkin Vision ADSL Router

Post by Bugsy1957 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:14 pm

If possible, also post what originally created the non-working M2TS files. Perhaps then, instead of complaining, you can be constuctive in helping getting this fixed....
OK it may not be exactly what you were asking for, but prior to the tsremux solution NONE of the files created by the following workflow worked.

Files captured from a Sony SR8E hd hdd camcorder
Transfered to the PC as m2ts using Sony motion picture browser
Combined using Adobe Premier CS3 and MainConcept Pro plugin
Transferred and streamed using Twonky 4.4.5 on Windows Home Server PP1

Now all of these play once they have been tsremuxed.. :D :D :D

jlally
AV Hardware:ubuntu 8.0.3 server. ps3 for playback

Post by jlally » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:19 pm

I am glad it's helped you.

I can confirm that all my non working AVCHD m2ts files are now working after "washing" them through tsRemuxR. :D :D

It was the same bug as I have seen reported by other people. Some files would stream whilst others were "unsupported". At least two of the files were made at the same time using Pinnacle Studio 11. One worked and the other refused to stream using PS3. All had played flawlessly using Core AVC decoders in windows.

Incase it helps someone my workflow was
AVCHD files from Sony SR1E transfered to PC using Sony Utility
Files trimmed and edited using Pinnacle Studio 11 and output as AVCHD. This created a avchd disk structure on hard disk.

My PS3 is running the lates firmware as well.

Jag

homeservershow
AV Hardware:PS3, WHS

Post by homeservershow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I found that this procedure works. I have been using it for a while. I did a podcast on it in July. It was TSMuxerGUI 1.8.4. Is this the same as your were using?
I'm using PVConnect on the Windows Home Server as issued by HP. PS3 is 2.42. GigEthernet.
I havn't looked in on this issue since then so this morning I thought I would take a look again. I have a Canon HG10 and if you look at the files on it via USB it's in the MTS format. If you pull them off with the Canon program they arrive on your hard drive as MTS as well. If you use the Corel program to import they arrive as M2TS. I read somewhere to rename the MTS file to M2TS and use TSMuxer. This worked.

I now find that everything i mux up stutters terribly so I started experimenting. I did a test video and transferred it straight to a shared folder and the PS3 played it perfectly. I tested again to be sure. I'm going to shoot some video this afternoon and try it again. I'm baffled but happy by these results. The only problem, is the multitude of video I've already shot is not streaming.

I have two files. One that I shot today. One that was shot ages ago and shows up as unsupported. It would be interesting to know what the differences between the two files are. I'm not qualified to dig into the files like that so if anyone wants to try i will gladly put them up on FTP.