Trying to view any files on PS3

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
fredrick
AV Hardware:Linksys WRT610N, PS3,DENON 4308
Trying to view any files on PS3

Post by fredrick » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:23 am

Hi, I have a Linksys WRT610N with a USB NAS and a wired connection to a PS3, I am a little new to this but I'm just wanting to know if there is any special format the drive has to be in to allow the PS3 to see any files as all I can see is the server name and no files, I have been through the configuration on the Twonky vision set-up page on the router and made sure the PS3 is listed in the client list and the sharing folder is selected ok but no files that I have on the drive are visible. I can even stream audio files onto the Nokia N95 which it sees with all the folders no problems at all.. I'm probably just being very daft and missed something obvious... any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks

dasaynt
AV Hardware:Twonky NAS 4.4.4
Buffalo LinkStation LS-500GL (have telnet root access)
Sony PS3 (latest firmware, media server enabled)
Linksys WRT-54G Router (DD-WRT Firmware, UPnP enabled for PS3 IP)
'09 MacBook OSX Leopard (Windows XP Pro SP3 via VMware Fusion)

Re: Trying to view any files on PS3

Post by dasaynt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:22 am

I'm having the same/similar issue. My media server (Twonky NAS 4.4.4) has been working on my PS3 for the last year just fine. Then I was tweaking some settings in my LinkStation's web interface (was trying to get Apple's Time Machine to work with it), put all the settings back to where they were (because Time Machine doesn't work with LinkStation's XFS file system) and later noticed that my PS3 could no longer "see" the media server's files.

I updated to the lastest PS3 firmware, quadruple checked all my settings in Twonky's web interface, rescanned content directories, rebuilt Twonky's database, rebooted everything (Twonky & the NAS) multiple times, disabled & re-enabled media server in PS3, but still doesn't work.

I did reformat my PS3's HDD recently. Can't remember if I could access the media server after or not. I'm almost positive all my settings are back to normal in Twonky & LinkStation web interfaces.

The crazy thing is, is that the PS3 recognizes the media server and the icon is there. Going to the Twonky icon under images says, "There are no images", to music says, "Unsupported Data", and video says, "There are no titles". I don't get it. I'm going to try a clean install. I'll report back with my findings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Cytokrom_C
AV Hardware:QNAP TS109IIPro, TwonkyMedia ver 4.4.9, PS3

Post by Cytokrom_C » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Have you checked that sharing is enabled for the PS3 unit in the TwonkyMedia Server configuration page (Basic Setup -> Clients/Security)?

jerrybme
AV Hardware:PS3, Xbox360, Linux NAS (Ubuntu Intrepid Server)

Post by jerrybme » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:10 pm

I've had the same problem with "no titles" on my MP3 files, videos oddly enough would work. I'm running a Linux NAS server (ubuntu). Twonky worked fine with my xbox 360. This was driving me nuts, I've spent 2 days trying to get it to work; I down graded from Twonky 5.0, still no love. I've the latest PS3 firmware. Finally, I realized the only difference from the PS3 & xbox was the PS3 was wireless, so I pulled the cable from the xbox and configured the PS3 to a wired connection and Bingo it worked! Now, my AP is very close and the signal is over 80% so this is very weird. To make it even weirder, I disconnected the ethernet cable and returned to wireless and now it works with a wireless connection!. AARRGG!

Jerry

ohmarr21
AV Hardware:PS3
Linksys router
Denon 4306
power mac G5
HDMI between ps3 & denon
Router hardwire to PS3

Post by ohmarr21 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:41 am

I am having similar problems. ever since upgrading to twonky media version 5, my PS3 does not find any media server (mac).

Any ideas.

thanks

catnipper

Post by catnipper » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:52 pm

After requesting a valid version 5 license key everything seems to work now.
As I only tried a few days later after entering the valid license I can not say if it was the reboot of my OS X, TwonkyVision or something else...
Same for me on Mac OS X Server 10.5 and TwonkyMedia Server 5.0.46.
No images/files found when trying to access the server from the PS3...
This occurred after upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

I did setup the directories for the media content from scratch, did several restarts and rescan, cleared the device setting on the server (per MAC/IP address).
Browsing the media library still works fine when accessing through a web browser...

Could it be a malformed or incompatible XML output for PS3?

Running on a wired 1GBit connection.