Enabled transcoding and PS3 no longer sees videos

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
MrQuade
AV Hardware:Twonkymedia 5 running on Fedora 10
PS3
Enabled transcoding and PS3 no longer sees videos

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:11 pm

First post here and still relatively green on the whole DLNA scene.

I have recently upgraded to Twonkymedia 5 when I upgraded my media server from Fedora Linux 6 to Fedora 10.

The twonky server was installed according to the included instructions and I was able to stream video from it to the PS3 quite happily, barring a few AVIs which were in an unsupported format.

That was when I went to try to enable transcoding.
I installed all of the transcoding packages listed in the documentation, and configured my .location files to point to
/usr/local/bin

After this, the PS3 stopped seeing any files on the twonky server. I can see the server itself, but it reports no files.

When I use the media browser via the PS3's inbuilt web browser, I can watch the (previously working) videos just fine, and I can do the same from my Windows PC's web browser.

Could installing the transcoders have anything to do with this.

I have also noticed some oddities since mucking around. A few odd video files that I copied onto the server folders took several hours to appear in the media browser list, despite me having force a directory rescan from the web configuration interface.

Also, the PS3 has never appeared in the "Media Receivers" list, even when it was streaming successfully. I have seen my Windows Media Player in the list in the past, but never the PS3. I suspect that if Twonky is not seeing the PS3 as a PS3 device, then it may not be making the internal adjustments necessary to suit the PS3 peculiar DLNA implementation.

Anyone have any ideas?

MrQuade
AV Hardware:Twonkymedia 5 running on Fedora 10
PS3

Re: Enabled transcoding and PS3 no longer sees videos

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:24 am

Seeing as no amount of database refreshes or rebuilds would fix this problem I decided to completely wipe out the database and configuration and start from scratch.

deleted all contents (recursively) of /root/.Twonkymedia

After the database was rebuilt, the PS3 would happily see the videos again.

A happy coincidence is that the PS3 2.6 update came out yesterday as well, and I can now play a few files which would previously not play (although the sound is still stuffed).

I tried putting a WMV file into my shared folders, and something odd happened. A new file appeared on the PS3, but with the same name as an existing file. The only difference being that the original one was showing up as AVC (true) and the new one was showing up as MPEG2. My process list showed that ffmpeg was running and consuming all available CPU time, so I assume the transcoding was doing......something.