Playback on PS3 skips/ stutters

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
bentyne
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia server 5.0.68 (Mac) & PS3
Playback on PS3 skips/ stutters

Post by bentyne » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi,

I've just installed Twonky 5.0.68 (mac) to stream content to my PS3 however when I play videos they seem to skip frames which is watchable but has become quite annoying. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? I closed iTunes, email, msn (everything that might be connecting to the internet) but it didn't seem to help.

I'm using the standard Netgear wireless router from my ISP and I'm wondering if I need to change it's settings to make things flow more smoothly?

Thanks in advance :)

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Playback on PS3 skips/ stutters

Post by mgillespie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:08 pm

What connection do you have between your PS3 and your server? Wired or Wireless? Wireless might be hit and miss for video...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

shoot2score67
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by shoot2score67 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:00 am

I have same problem. Just installed TMS using wired PS3.

PlayOn streams everything OK.

But Twonky stutters with MP4 files. DIVX files play fine though.

Any suggestions? Oddly I get the same stuttering issue with Tversity as well.

Cheers!
Chris

mcvax
AV Hardware:DNS-323
PS3

Post by mcvax » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 am

I have the same issue. AVI files play fine, but MP4 files seem to skip around. They'll get to right near the end and then jump back to a previous point, then skip forward again.

I'm using a DNS-323 with 5.1.1 streaming over 100Mb cable to a PS3.

Chris

turscotech
AV Hardware:Target player will be PS3.
The Twonky server is running on a WS Sharespace and is version 4.4.9
Workstation Player is either Divx 7 or Windows 7 Media player.

Post by turscotech » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:56 am

I'm new to the twonky world, but I am having the same issue.

The video files are being streamed from a twonky server version 4.4.9 running on a Western Digital ShareSpace NAS. I I run the files from media player on PC all is good. If I run the avi or divx files from media server they skip and stutter.

I'm running over a wired home network.

I tried taking a tv series DVD and creating new media to test. I created an AVI, Divx, and raw VOB files of the same episode. The raw VOB file streams without any problems but are huge to store. The AVI and Divx files I created sjip and stutter after only 10-15 secondes of play.

If I copy the AVI or Divx files I created to the HD of my PS3 from the twonky media player, they play fine; but that defeats the purpose of having them on the media server in the first place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Running 5.1.2 (Linux ARM NAS) to PS3 on a 100Mbit wired ethernet, and not has ANY problems whatsoever with any file formats.

Are these your own files, or some random things downloaded? In other words, how can you be sure the files don't have dodgy MPEG B-Frames or other problems? I know VLC is very forgiving in that respect.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sun May 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Had some stuttering problems myself today, tried 6.0 and 5.14 and they both stuttered, also tried other vendors servers, same result.

Did some more digging and found out that PS3 does not like streaming when using Quicktime container format. These files need repacking as "proper" MP4 files.

More Info: (right at the bottom of the page)
http://wiki.flexion.org/BBCiPlayer.html

And a working link for the fix script
http://code.flexion.org/MP4-Repacker.html

LtPidgeon
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209 Pro II, Linn Majik DS, iPod Touch with Konductor, Sony PS3, XBox 360

Post by LtPidgeon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:10 am

My setup has developed this problem in the last couple of months. I think I have narrowed it down to either an issue with one of the recent fw updates on the PS3, or a problem with the encoding - I use MKV2VOB.

I run a QNAP TS 209 PRO II NAS, with a Linksys WRT610N gigabit router wired through Devolo 200AV homeplugs downstairs into a Netgear gigabit switch an then into my PS3, XBox360 and Linn Majik DS. I used to use a Netgear DG834 router and this is when the problem first occurred.

I am just about to go back to using an earlier version of MKV2VOB and see if that helps and will report back.

LtPidgeon
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209 Pro II, Linn Majik DS, iPod Touch with Konductor, Sony PS3, XBox 360

Post by LtPidgeon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 am

I have narrowed this problem down to only occurring with with 1080 content, as I can stream 720p stuff without issue. I can also stream 1080 content to my 360 without any issue, so this problem is somehow to do with how the PS3 streams HD content over a network, as it plays 1080 stuff when playing from a directly attached hd.

Hope this helps anyone else.