Thumbnails of images in webbrowse

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mwgilbert
Thumbnails of images in webbrowse

Post by mwgilbert » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:48 pm

In the newest betas (I am now at beta4) the thumbnails of images in the webbrowse are very pixellated. Is this a bug, a feature, or a potential css tweak? Any help appreciated, and thanks.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:00 pm

I have a similar question. What is the criterea for Album art.

If there are several jpg files, which one is chosen? I have a few albums where no album art is displayed, not sure what I need to name the files to get them seen by Twonky...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:39 am

in general we go for embedded album art (MP3, WMA)

or mwe use the one which WMP generates

the bad thumbnails may be upscaled from embedded thumbnails

need to take a look

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 am

I have created thumbnails in the album directory called:

Folder.jpg

(case sensitive, note the capital F)

and rebuild my database, now it shows album art in Media browser and PS3!!!
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

mwgilbert

Post by mwgilbert » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:32 pm

twonky-christian wrote:in general we go for embedded album art (MP3, WMA)
or we use the one which WMP generates

the bad thumbnails may be upscaled from embedded thumbnails
need to take a look
The thumbnails are from jpg files, and are being viewed as photographs in albums. My initial question did not pertain to album art. So at least in my case, the bad thumbnails are not upscaled from embedded art but from larger jpgs.

In the past, viewing an album of photos meant looking at a page of thumbnails, and selecting one to view larger by clicking on it. This worked quite well. The process still works fine. It's just that now, the page of thumbnails does not look as good due to the (badly) scaled images.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:23 pm

big jpegs carry embedded thumbnails

need to look into that...

mwgilbert

Post by mwgilbert » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:53 pm

twonky-christian wrote:big jpegs carry embedded thumbnails
need to look into that...
I would be more than happy to send you a jpg photo that comes up with a bad thumbnail, if that would directly help.

mwgilbert

Post by mwgilbert » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Actually while on the subject of image browsing, the webbrowse page of thumbnails seems to not be scrollable. So if I point at a folder with say 30 images, I only see the top few thumbnails, and cannot scroll down to either see the rest or click to the next page. This occurs the same with Firefox or IE.

mwgilbert

Post by mwgilbert » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:29 am

UPDATE: Using jhead (on my Linux media server) I removed the EXIF embedded thumbnails from some test images, and they now display good thumbnails, which twonkymediaserver is generating.

The other problem, that of the page setup, remains. A page of thumbnails is still only partially viewable.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:15 am

working on the scrollbar and the thumbnails....

mwgilbert

Post by mwgilbert » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:40 pm

twonky-christian wrote:working on the scrollbar and the thumbnails....
Thanks very much.

Any news on this issue yet? This is the polite version of "bump".

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:25 pm

we will release a new beta next week

mwgilbert

Post by mwgilbert » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:19 am

twonky-christian wrote:we will release a new beta next week
Thank you. 4.4 beta 5 fixes the scrollbars in webbrowse.

Thumbnails may not have yet been dealt with. If one uses the jpg embedded thumbnail, the solution would be to make sure that one generated good thumbnails for all of one's photos. I tested by eliminating the embedded thumbnails on a sample of pictures, and one can get the server to generate them, but that makes it very slow.

I think I will try to script up a process to re-embed appropriate thumbs into my jpg images.

Rainer

Post by Rainer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Christian,

Thanks for this hint. Could you give any hint, which program would help to create high Quality thumbnails. I really enjoy Twonky, the thumbnails I get however are unfortunately very bad. I have tried the Lossless JPEG thumbnail Regenerator, restarted Twonky and cleared the cash folder.

The thumbnail unfortunately is still very bad.

Regards,

Rainer

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:48 am

Picture thumbnails are geenrated by ourself

Rainer

Post by Rainer » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks Christian,

Recognised that meantime myself. Any clou how to improve the quality which is unfortunately quite bad?

Regards,

Rainer

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:45 am

sorry - no way - it is a compromise between speed, low CPU performance and quality

chipster123

Post by chipster123 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:51 am

The thumbnails themselves are not too bad. It's the way they are displayed in the webbrowse mode.
I tried two experiments.

Test 1. Using Firefox, rightclick->view image. This shows the thumbnail as it is created by Twonky, but unmolested by any html code within a page. It looks better than it does when it is shown in the webbrowse page. This indicates that the thumbnail generation by Twonky is not too bad.

Test 2. I saved the webbrowse page to an .html file on my home drive, (file:///home/chipster123/public_html/test_twonky.html ) then reloaded it directly. The thumbnails show up just as good as in Test 1. above.

This tells me that the webbrowse link like http://192.168.1.1:9000/webbrowse/O2$80 ... $805306620
is doing something funky that viewing that same page using file:///home/chipster123/public_html/test_twonky.html isn't.

twonky-christian, hope this helps getting to a solution faster, 'cause I really like this program.
Chipster123